Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltE 10-04-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mirabelle (Post 6329379)
........QuiltE as per usual I am the first to have a finish, then everyone will want my help or me to quilt their tops for them:mad:, but not this time, I am too busy:D.........

MiraB ... you could always not tell them that you are done! And keep it our little secret!! :)

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 6329389)
..... I feel like I keep busy but don't make as much progress as I want to...I supposed it's like that for most people!.........

CarrieM ... you bet! and one of the problems with hanging out here on the QB ... we get SO much inspiration and want to do SO much!!!

OKSGlad ... *make*me*drool* with all this apple butter talk. I love cinnamon, and yes, I think it might be a great addition, just as a spread with those delectable rolls! Hope all went well as the farmer today!

Anael ... oh yes, SewGrand photo time! A bonus for this weekend!! :)

DDamsel ... pretty amazing yourself! Do tell what this sorghum is for .... I've only heard of it as a cattle feed!!!!!! Is there something I am missing. BTW .... we never saw any Sugar Puppies pics ... they must be all grown up by now. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

QNSue ... now you have me drooling with your goodies! Are you taking baking to your Doctor on Monday? :D

JanieW and GGal ... What a nice homecoming to find such a lovely block. My how nicely all your group are playing together! Hope that it was a grand holiday, despite the "souvenir" you brought back!

Wish me luck for a quilty sort of a weekend. Tomorrow will be off to the jobbers to get some fabric for the new Frosty's. Yesterday, I spent the afternoon there petting fabric for me and brought some home to consider, leaving the yardage on hold. Still need to find more fabrics, but it's a start.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-04-2013 04:54 PM

No , none of the food will go to the doctor. DH cousins came in today and enjoyed the Chili Supper with Apple Pie and Ice Cream, and cookies as an appetizer before the meal. They also took two small packages of cookies home with them...quart bags.

Dh could actually eat the meal, even though he had another multi-teeth pulling this morning. I did get him Steak-philly from Schwans and Chicken Philly. The meat is frozen in ribbons, so I put it on , thaw it, and add the cheese on soft bread, flat wheat, and he can eat it with no teeth.

I did get a start on October's log cabin, four pieces on one slice of 'pizzi' All six are cut out and ready to 'play'.

Ok, how did the farm day go?

mirabelle 10-05-2013 04:58 AM

QuiltE I don't tell my patchwork group everything I do:D a girl just has to have some secrets. I am always humbugged for patterns lately, my standard answer these days is "it came out of my muddled brain, no paper pattern just scribbles on a note pad". The last time I was at my embroidery club I was given a bag of fabric and very nicely asked if I could come up with a pattern using the fabric. aaarrrggghhhh! I was asked for the pattern for the butterfly quilt I made so wrote 7 pages of instructions and that was photocopied by everyone, sometimes I would just like to have the only one especially if I have worked it all out myself. Is this being selfish?????????? be honest.

Now I am off to bed, will post pics of my finished Peirrot quilt tomorrow.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-05-2013 05:14 AM

Mirabelle, You have the right to say, No, that is my design. Let us together come up with another that is unique to you. "copy cats" are a form of approval, meant to gratify the original, but we cannot duplicate the original too close in patterns designed by the professional. I do not know how you copyright designs in your country, but I would check into it. To use that pattern, they would need to give you a fee for using it, if you choose to sell it.

I need to wake up, eleven hours of sleep is a new record. Must have been worn out last night.

QuiltE 10-05-2013 05:31 AM

MiraB ... Selfish? DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!! You did the work, and so, let them have their creative moments too, and come up with something else that is unique to them. To write out instructions is a LOT of work ... and to make sure they are correct, is even more so. And if something goes wrong, then of course, they have the ability to put the "blame" on you. Just what many want, so they don't have to blame themselves for their own mistakes.

My work is no where near so creative and unique as yours, though much of it is not from a pattern, or if it started with a pattern, I change it up ever-so much! When asked, my answer is much like yours ... I started with this then as ideas came, I changed it up. Just the same as most of my cooking/baking ... recipes/patterns are only guides that I improvise from. And lots of time I don't even start with one and just start with an idea.

Now if I were organized and I had written down every detail when I made Fr♥osty last winter, life would be much easier for me now. I'm making a new Fr♥sty for a friend and so, the other day I sat down and started measuring his pieces to figure out how much fabric I needed. Yes, I did graph it out ... though I already know there are going to be changes. And will I keep track of those? Not likely!!!!!!

So be proud of your work ... and continue to say "it came out of my muddled brain ... honestly, I do not have a pattern for it!" .... and as I told someone who one time pretty much "demanded" I write up a pattern ... "I'm not into that, as I know how many hours it would take to get a pattern perfected in every way. And I would not be happy to share it, unless it were perfect. I'd far sooner use that time to make another unique quilt!" Guess what? I got another PM back suggesting that I could always sell them, if I felt that way. ummmmm OK!

So MiraB ... if that's selfish, then I'm happy to be in your good company!
But I repeate ........... Definitely NOT!

QNSue ... Good for you! Your body is telling you it NEEDS that sleep and that you need to stop trying to pack so much into every day. And not just last night, more nights of longer sleep! Even a nap during the day is perfectly OK!

QuiltingNinaSue 10-05-2013 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now folks whom I know will give me a honest opinion[ATTACH=CONFIG]439774[/ATTACH] on this "slice' of SYE " I have turned 3 or 4 different fabric pieces to wrong side within the piece to get the 'value' and 'tone' that I wanted...is it acceptable? If not, at this point I can change it.

oksewglad 10-05-2013 08:31 AM

Well I don't know about anyone else but I like this! The blue is so soothing QNS reinforced by the curved lines in the fabrics.
Janie glad your trip went so well--homecoming well....? Such a pretty block to change your mood.
Not a bad day of farming yesterday. After milking I washed down the parlor and return lanes--that was harder on my body than milking. Actually the exercises I've been doing to keep Ilean away has made me more flexible and milking was easier. PS don't tell DH that!!!
Had a tornado warning last night but I heard it after the fact. Was in the basement so was safe. Had almost 3" of rain. So we've had 6" the past 10 days. Good for our dry soil. Now need some dry weather to finish chopping corn silage.
mirabelle I'm with QNS. You have every right to not share your designs. One of the reasons I like my EQ is I can go back and see what size my pieces were for specific projects.
Wonder why I only have 20 9P done this week!! I am liking my new sewing room arrangement and it looks more open. I have a few odds and ends to put away. A bonus is I have space to put an air mattress down for additional overnight guests aka grand kids! Hope to take pics and share.
Now let's see if I can increase that 9P count.

JeanieG 10-05-2013 10:13 AM

Mirabelle - I think if just tell them you haven't had time to do it yet (and stick to it). Eventually they would probably get the picture! A lot of people would look at something new and say "Oh I want to do that", but probably would not get around to doing it later. I've done that myself, many times. When I started quilting again around four years ago, after not doing much for 25 years except baby quilts and graduation quilts, I just had to have some books for stuff I saw (Stack & Whack, and Log Cabin with a Twist). I have looked at those books several times, but have not made one of them yet! Oh Well - one day (maybe)!

QNS - I love those fabrics together. Blue is one of my favorites!

grannyQ 10-05-2013 10:41 AM

QNS, don't change anything in your 1st slice, I really like this, my favorite colors are anything blue.
OK, I saw that you were getting quite a storm last night, hope not much damage. We didn't get any rain here at all.

QuiltE 10-05-2013 10:51 AM

QNSue ... Yes!!!!!!!!! I've used backsides before to get the look I want. Including, that Spike Topper I did. If you're wanting to check further do a check with mirrors, as you would with a OBW.

OKSGlad ... shhhhhh we won't tell a soul about how good your back is feeling. Though don't get too self assured or that pesky Ilean will drop by again. So today, be good to your back, and work on those 9Ps! Good that your rearranged sewing room is even more functional!!

JeanieG ... I think we all have those extra projects in the wing. I surely do!!!!! Just never enough time for all the ideas!