Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 31 North Carolina & Next Door Neighbor Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-31-north-carolina-next-door-neighbor-photo-page-t196995.html)

gardnergal970 10-23-2012 04:47 AM

QNSue...it's just your library background showing and it's not a problem. BTW, do you still find the to read at all?

QuiltingNinaSue 10-23-2012 05:53 AM

Very little; from five and six hours a day to more like 5 to 10 minutes a day. Life is a challenge every day; little eye sight, achy hands and head, so is one step at a time...forget about running any more, I am moving in the slow lane. I watch my rear view mirror, and pull over carefully, to let those big trucks on by that make their living by driving down the road. My hat's off to them, trying to make time a gettin' down the road and back to their families safely.

Did hear of a new author (to me) Kate Morgan I am going to check out soon. Everyone remember with the holidays coming up, think about getting a gift that gives the whole year...a magazine that they will like....library card...Dennis Wesley books about Flip...and laugh at his colt's expressions in his illustrations, for the younger set and young at heart....Marguerite Henry's Misty, Justin Morgan had a horse, Sea Star for the 8-10 year old....and Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. Hardy Boy mysteries and Nancy Drew, and the Bobbesy twins....Will James: Smokey the cow horse. ..for ten to fourteen year old set. Newborn to four year set: Wright's Mother Goose which was originally written in French but contains all the English phonetic sounds of the English language. All Classics.

QuiltE 10-23-2012 03:15 PM

You never seem to be moving in the slow lane here ... sometimes I get tired just reading what all you have accomplished in a day, QNSue. You're one amazing woman!!! :)

Good for you for wanting to check out the new author ... and giving credence to the Classics!

QuiltingNinaSue 10-23-2012 03:47 PM

Thank you QuiltE, but there are days, then there are days...so glad we are retired!! And our home is so simple, all one floor, no stairs, and a BIG kitchen.

Now to look into possible Guinea recipes!! Noisy birds, so noisy!!

carriem 10-23-2012 05:06 PM

QNS--I have read several of those authors to our children as part of our schooling. I don't read aloud as much as I did when they were younger. Winter months though we do tend to do a little more of that.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-23-2012 05:15 PM

Good for you to read to your kids!! Now let them read to you or independently on their own. We limited our three children to what they could carry out of the library themselves...so the youngest girl found the biggest grocery brown paper bag, and filled it to the brim...and struggled out of the library to the car carrying the full bag...we had to return to the library in about 3 days, 'cause she had read them all!!

All our children were readers, (we were both readers, too) and they built up their vocabulary that way, took the math and science courses to gain that knowledge, and became National Merit Scholars...earning their college degrees themselves. Cousins in dh family did it also...well, a couple of them did.

JeanieG 10-23-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 5607596)
Good for you to read to your kids!! Now let them read to you or independently on their own. We limited our three children to what they could carry out of the library themselves...so the youngest girl found the biggest grocery brown paper bag, and filled it to the brim...and struggled out of the library to the car carrying the full bag...we had to return to the library in about 3 days, 'cause she had read them all!!

All our children were readers, (we were both readers, too) and they built up their vocabulary that way, took the math and science courses to gain that knowledge, and became National Merit Scholars...earning their college degrees themselves. Cousins in dh family did it also...well, a couple of them did.

Wow, that is so awesome QNS that all your children have college degrees. You have reason to be real proud of them!

QuiltingNinaSue 10-24-2012 04:03 AM

Funny thing, Jeanie, none of them wanted to be teachers since their parents were!! Thought I was raising a Doctor, Lawyer, and Indian chief of the drums; not so. Engineers. Chemistry & electronics (computers). They all provide for themselves...none live where we retired to.

janRN 10-24-2012 04:28 AM

My mother passed on her love to reading to my sister & I; I passed it on to my son (we read every night, even when he learned to read himself). Grand-daughter loves to read, grandson not so much. When my mother passed away, we asked for no flowers, but instead make a donation to our local library which is struggling. I was overwhelmed when the library notified me that they had rec'd enough donations to buy 2 complete sets of encyclopedias. There's a Memorial Sticker in each volume with her name. I'd say she's passing on her love of reading to many more generations.

oksewglad 10-24-2012 07:30 AM

Another family of readers here. The grands love it when Gram reads to them!

QNS, college degrees are impressive, but National Merit Scholarship winners are even more so! Congratulations to you and DH for taking the gift of intelligence and nuturing it to a higher level.