Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Jane Stickle Cyber Sew Week 16- F1, A10, A11, A13, BR9 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/jane-stickle-cyber-sew-week-16-f1-a10-a11-a13-br9-t43308.html)

sandpat 04-20-2010 06:59 AM

Hi guys, here is this weeks thread. I'm posting it now because I have a couple of questions for those of you who are ahead of me.

It appears to me that A10 could be pieced like a log cabin block then have the triangles and melon appliqued on top...is that how ya'll did it?

On the tri..... :shock: :?: Can you PP this with the curve or should I pp the "arcs" then just cut the curves from a template and sew those together???

The rest look pretty straight forward if not the easiest...at least doable. :wink: :D

Shemjo 04-20-2010 07:51 AM

Will look into that! PP I mean.

Lacelady 04-20-2010 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sandpat
Hi guys, here is this weeks thread. I'm posting it now because I have a couple of questions for those of you who are ahead of me.

It appears to me that A10 could be pieced like a log cabin block then have the triangles and melon appliqued on top...is that how ya'll did it?

On the tri..... :shock: :?: Can you PP this with the curve or should I pp the "arcs" then just cut the curves from a template and sew those together???

The rest look pretty straight forward if not the easiest...at least doable. :wink: :D

I did A10 exactly as you describe. With the tri, I made up a rectangle that consisted of two coloured sections with the background triangle in between, using PP methods, for each curved section, then I appliqued them to a background triangle.

Week 16
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61854[/ATTACH]

sandpat 04-20-2010 04:11 PM

Thanks exactly what I was wondering....thanks for the info Lesley and for posting yours...they look wonderful too! I like your idea of appliqueing to the tri...but I might be brave enough to try sewing the curve...we'll see... Thank you!

Sharon...I was thinking about this all day...I don't think you can PP a curve like that...I don't think it would work... BUT...we can PP the arcs with that little tri between the 2 sections. :D

Mamaskeeto 04-20-2010 04:33 PM

Lace, your blocks look great!

wilhelmina 04-20-2010 07:21 PM

Lesley, Your blocks are perfection! :)

Is your background fabric the same weight as the batik fabric? I am curious because the background looks like a heavier weight muslin, or is it a different cream fabric? All your blocks are lovely.

Lacelady 04-21-2010 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Lesley, Your blocks are perfection! :)

Is your background fabric the same weight as the batik fabric? I am curious because the background looks like a heavier weight muslin, or is it a different cream fabric? All your blocks are lovely.

It's Kona cotton Natural, so it looks like muslin, but handles like regular quilting cotton. Washes like a dream too. I bought a bolt of it (15 yards) from Hancocks of Paducah, and I still have a few yards left on the bolt yet, with only 41 blocks left to make. But I am going to use this same cotton for all the inbetween tris, so that will use up a fair bit. I am thinking of getting a wide batik backing, perhaps from Thousands of Bolts, if not, this fabric comes in a wide width too.

sandpat 04-21-2010 04:48 AM

Lesley...your tris will look like they are "floating" won't they using the same fab as the "betweens"...how interesting!! :D

jolo 04-21-2010 05:14 AM

Well I finished A13,but am almost afraid to do the others,lol. Les yours look beautiful. Thanks for the tips,it will be easire now. Jolo

Lacelady 04-21-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Lesley...your tris will look like they are "floating" won't they using the same fab as the "betweens"...how interesting!! :D

It will be the same as the latest posting on the main board, and yes, that's what I wanted, because I think all the work that goes into the tris gets lost with the coloured fabric either side of them. I am still trying to think of a nice design to quilt in those plain infill tris - Jane just did V shaped lines.

(Like this one:http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43342-1.htm)