Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   MARCH 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/march-15-2011-stars-bom-directions-discussion-t107745.html)

MommaDorian 03-15-2011 08:12 AM

Something tells me it's not a good idea to post copies of Carol's book here, even if it is in another magazine. The magazine copy is different. Maybe it's just me.

JudyG 03-15-2011 08:29 AM

We didn't post a copy of Carol's book. The link is to a design that is online at Quilter's Newsletter Magazine.

MommaDorian 03-15-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
We didn't post a copy of Carol's book. The link is to a design that is online at Quilter's Newsletter Magazine.

Another member did.

davidwent 03-15-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Mine printed out at 6-1/2" also.

What I see when I look at this block is that you need to cut it apart on the diagonal line and work with it in two sections and make four of each section. I'm not sure why they didn't make this pattern in two sections that way. You need to make sure that you add a 1/4" seam allowance to the diagonal line. I cut mine apart and glued it to another piece of paper. I added the 1/4" seam allowance to the diagonal and will scan it and print four copies. I have marked one as Section A and one as Section B so I'll be able to sew them together correctly. I think that should do it. I have to add the seam allowance to the pattern or I'll forget to make that side a little bigger to allow for the seam and I'll have a messed up piece. I'll try to get mine done today to make sure my thoughts are correct.

One other thing I would suggest is to mark the colors you are using on the pattern. I was just working away and mixed up what I refer to as my background color (the white in the picture) with my star color and had to start over. I have now marked each section with what it is (Dk Background - the dark blue; Star - the lighter blue; background - white). Hopefully that will stop that mistake from happening again.

Hi Judy!!
Judy, take a close look at sermors block, I could be wrong but to me it looks like the block are made just the way it is printed then sewn together, see how it looks like only four points in the center?
Like I said I could be wrong but I think I am gonna just pp the way it printed no cutting it apart
David

davidwent 03-15-2011 09:32 AM

LOL Nevermind, now I took an even CLOSER look and there are 8 seams, I think you're right Judy!
David
ps.to my wifee...see I ca admit when Im wrong!

JudyG 03-15-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
LOL Nevermind, now I took an even CLOSER look and there are 8 seams, I think you're right Judy!
David
ps.to my wifee...see I ca admit when Im wrong!

Your wife will be happy you can admit you're wrong. Let me tell you, its very, very seldom I can get my hubby to admit he's wrong.

Anyway, thank you David. I did put together one block splitting the pattern in half on the diagonal and adding a 1/4" seam to that cut line on both halves, and I ended up with a perfect 6-1/2" block. Now I need three more, but they will have to wait. DGS has a birthday in three weeks and I have to get his quilt finished.

One suggestion: if you are concerned about your block not being quite large enough, just extend the dark blue pieces on the outer edges a bit which will give you a little leeway for sizing up your block.

roseOfsharon 03-15-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
Don't let looking at the whole block of this beautiful block scare you away! Just look at one triangle. If you can sew a stright line you've got it.

Here are the 12inch temples AND the list of the fabric pieces I used to make mine. (See BOM pictures)

P-l-e-a-s-e don't give up without trying it first!

I hope this has helped someone.....................

Jerri, where did you get your print out from? mine is just the template and they are not separated like yours there in the post.??

****Not to worry, I copied and pasted the cutting instructions out :) Thanks Jerrie This helps a lot..

Sharon

roseOfsharon 03-15-2011 10:58 AM

Hmmm mine only printed out a tad over 6".

I am thinking if I cut the pattern on the line and add the 1/4" to seam allowance, will bring it up to 6 1/2" completed....

candi 03-15-2011 12:42 PM

Wow, PP haven for both BOMs :mrgreen:
I just finished my February star, I am going to do the barn first and then tackle this one....looks pretty.

Jenniky 03-15-2011 01:27 PM

Wow this is exciting..cant wait to get started on this star. Its awesome thanks for picking it for us :thumbup: