Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/mccalls-quilting-jan-feb-2012-3-month-mystery-quilt-along-t174799.html)

Fabriclovr 01-07-2012 11:43 AM

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

http://www.quiltingboard.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sharon b http://www.quiltingboard.com/images/...post-right.png
Speaking of mystery quilts have you seen the one in a Magazine ? let me run and grab it .....

It starts in the McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 and runs for three months ... I think I am getting addicted to these mysteries and my Quilt Club is doing one :)

OMG, Sitting on my computer, within inches of my fingers is the Jan/Feb issue LOL I had my DH pick it up for me because I wanted to do the Jinny Beyer quilt on pg 72.. skipped right over the mystery quilt on page 40!

With all of the pieces that need to be made and some of the matching that needs to be done in this 1st step, it will not only be a challenge for beginners, but also for those of us that are a little weak at matching intersections.. especially on bias triangles. should be a good challenge, I'm in! I will start a new thread just for this one.. Whoo HOoo a new mystery quilt
:):)

-------------------------------------------------------

The above conversation is what started this thread. The previous thread can be found under the title of New Year Mystery Quilt, above is message 392 and if you read the whole thing, you will see that we had a wonderful and fun time creating the mystery quilt.
:D
The quilt is now finished and the directions from that mystery have now been removed from the net.. BUT here is another current, on going NEW project an it wont be removed, we will have it till we get rid of the mag.
:thumbup:
For those of us who don't belong to a group or guilds (like myself) we have to find ways to amuse ourselves LOL
:p

This looks like it will be a fun one and we have a month between issues to work on it. Will you join me and work on this mystery together?

This is the current issue of McCall's Quilting, Jan/Feb 2012 issue. Mine came with a bonus CD with 5 additional quilts patterns, the mag was shrink wrapped. The display date is till 1/30/12. I found my copy at JoAnn's Fabrics, but would imagine that you could find it a grocery store news stand as well.

The mystery is starts on page 40, gives fabric color suggestions and clear directions. The fabric requirements look a little high to me, but left over for the stash is always a good thing
:thumbup:

We will be making lots of triangles, :eek: so you can either do them like the directions say or I would use the Thangles on a roll or even (my favorite) print your base patterns from the CD - Half Square Trangulations by Brenda Henning (Bear Paw Productions) I do not endorse or sell either of these products, but have used both and it is only a suggestion on my part, but I can tell you the both are wonderful time savers and make your work VERY accurate and in the case of the CD, well worth the investment ( http://www.bearpawproductions.com/st...php?cat=1&ID=2 ) If you do use one of these products, it will take a little work with the calculator so see how many of what you will need to sew together. :( I know that last statement is confusing, if you have seen or used either of these products, you will know exactly what I am saying. I will try to do some calculations and get them posted so those with calculator-pobia, wont have to dust off the calc! :):):) LOL
Ok, lets post pictures of our progress as we go. If you need help in posting pictures, PLEASE say something and someone will help you with this task.

:) :) :) :thumbup:
Susan

sharon b 01-07-2012 12:48 PM

I found you !!!! You know I will be trying this one :) Had so much fun with the last one - Thanks for starting the topic :thumbup:

rainbow quilter 01-07-2012 01:01 PM

I've been looking at that since I got the magazine but haven't quite figured out whether I'll jump in or not. Your enthusiasm has me leaning toward YES.

sharon b 01-07-2012 01:02 PM

Rainbow- come on , you know you want to :)

Sheila_H 01-07-2012 01:32 PM

I have no idea how I missed that article! Thanks for posting it on here, I've got 3 new quilting magazine's as part of Christmas presents that I haven't even had a chance to read yet. I'm doing the Border Creek mystery quilt, and starting a new one at our LQS next month but that is a BOM quilt, and if you go to Craftsy website they've got a free BOM that you can do at no charge for the instructions if you can't find it I will try and post a link to it.

Fabriclovr 01-07-2012 01:38 PM

It looks like it will be a fun one.. one draw back to my original post.. The use of the two products wont work for this quilt. I did a test square just to confirm the measurements of the squares, and unfortunately, both of the products do not go up to the size of square we will be using. :( Sad really, I was looking forward to 'power sewing' the triangles, but these are large enough that I dont believe anyone will have any issues. My suggestion is to sew, cut and press all of the triangles, sit in front of the tv, do the matching and then run them all through the machine at the same time.

Hey Sharon, look on page 42, under the "Making of the pieced squares". It say Make 100 [64] total and under diagram II it says make 40 [24] the numbers don't add up. Whats your take on these numbers?

Fabriclovr 01-07-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H (Post 4852110)
I have no idea how I missed that article! Thanks for posting it on here, I've got 3 new quilting magazine's as part of Christmas presents that I haven't even had a chance to read yet. I'm doing the Border Creek mystery quilt, and starting a new one at our LQS next month but that is a BOM quilt, and if you go to Craftsy website they've got a free BOM that you can do at no charge for the instructions if you can't find it I will try and post a link to it.

Hey Sheila, post a link.. Im to lazy to go and look LOLOLOL

rainbow quilter 01-07-2012 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 4852032)
Rainbow- come on , you know you want to :)

I really, really do. It's been sitting open on my work table since I got it. I've even gone through my stash to find fabrics, but haven't found quite what I want yet.

I'm looking forward to everyone posting pics of their progress.

Caroline S 01-07-2012 02:38 PM

Count me in. I will look for the magazine when I go out next. I like honing my quilting skills doing something different.

Fabriclovr 01-07-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4852266)
Count me in. I will look for the magazine when I go out next. I like honing my quilting skills doing something different.

That's the way I look at it also. They always seam to do something that I am not good at or very weak at, so in that respect, Mystery quilts are a good thing! (as if they were ever a bad thing.. just sayin')