Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   QB Block-of-the-Month, April 2013 - Double Aster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/qb-block-month-april-2013-double-aster-t217972.html)

Dedemac 04-06-2013 01:45 PM

There is another BOM thread that I did this block in and I had problems with the measurements and instructions. So I made a paper piece pattern for doing the block if any one wants a copy I can send them a pdf. There are two sections that are repeated four times the only thing I cut plain was the center block and the corner triangles. I will post a picture on the other picture thread.

CajunBear 04-06-2013 02:44 PM

Hey I am a strong supporter of "whatever works!" So you do what you need to do to make it work out?

Scant 1/4 is when you set your seam to 1/4 and then make it one needle position skinner. I don't know why anyone would do this unless the cut to close and have to do that. I also hate scant...I mean do,you want 1/4"
seams ore NOT? Lol

Hugs,
Betty

CAS49OR 04-08-2013 08:39 AM

I don't want scant. I have never used it on any quilt. I just want this block to turn out the right size and mine is too small. I haven't done it completely over yet, I'm just looking for advice. I did double check my measurements.

Originally Posted by CajunBear (Post 5982597)
Hey I am a strong supporter of "whatever works!" So you do what you need to do to make it work out?

Scant 1/4 is when you set your seam to 1/4 and then make it one needle position skinner. I don't know why anyone would do this unless the cut to close and have to do that. I also hate scant...I mean do,you want 1/4"
seams ore NOT? Lol

Hugs,
Betty

CAS49OR 04-11-2013 11:48 AM

Weird thing, I got the paper piece template (thank you DedeMac) and held my sewn block up to it and my sections are exactly the same size. I guess I'll make one with the template and hope for the best. I wonder if I could lose a whole half inch by the way I pressed? The one I did is 11 1/2" and the center doesn't fit.

CAS49OR 04-12-2013 01:47 PM

Wish me luck, getting ready to sew in the center. I made the four pieced sections. I did the "sew three 2" squares together then measure center block to see if it is 1 1/2" test and my 1/4th foot does sew scant 1/4" measuring by the seam before pressing. After pressing the inside square was perfect 1.5" I have a Janome and did not have to move the needle.

I guess that's why my previous quilts have turned out ok. Now if I can just figure out this block!

CAS49OR 04-12-2013 02:20 PM

The center fits this time, but my block is 11" square. My others are 12" after trimming.

CAS49OR 04-12-2013 02:55 PM

I meant my other 3 BOTM's are 12.5" square. So I am adding a background color frame around this.

I don't think pressing or the direction pressed could make that big of a difference. So I can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by CAS49OR (Post 5996389)
The center fits this time, but my block is 11" square. My others are 12" after trimming.

dd 04-13-2013 03:32 AM

I don't understand why everyone's blocks keep coming out different sizes. All my other blocks came out 12". Not this one is 12 1/2". From 11" to 12 1/2" is a big difference.

CAS49OR 04-13-2013 04:52 PM

Mine have all been 12.5". I had this one turned wrong and added the corners wrong so it ended up small. Two of us (that I've seen) did this. I am doing the initial one over. It is 13" as laid out so I'm guessing it will be 12.5" when I'm done sewing it.

Originally Posted by dd (Post 5997301)
I don't understand why everyone's blocks keep coming out different sizes. All my other blocks came out 12". Not this one is 12 1/2". From 11" to 12 1/2" is a big difference.

klgreene 04-13-2013 06:16 PM

You girls are making me nervous. I've always had to do a scant 1/4 with patterns from Quilter Cache. They usually say it makes a 12" square. But it doesn't say a 12" finished square. When I make blocks, I like a 12 1/2" square that finishes to 12". I'm hoping to do mine tomorrow, so I guess I'll work really slow. I've wanted to make this block for a while now, so was glad to see it was this months block. Also, when I do Quilter Cache I use a certain machine. I have two machines I use, but one doesn't move the needle, so I use the other, I just have to remember to set the needle where its supposed to go. Once set...I'm all set.