Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: QB Block-of-the-Month, February 2013 - Crazy Heart Directions & Discussion

It is taking forever to download so I will use your done projects to design and do mine. Thanks for the pictures.
    Lynda

This looks fun, so I decided to join in. I figured I'll start with the Feb. block and catch up with Jan. later. Crazy patch has always been a challenge for me...and that apparently hasn't changed. I cannot do this block! Waaaaa...help? I cannot figure out how to attach piece #5. Am I suppose to cut this pattern up into small chunks? Tried that and still cannot get 3-4-5 to attach to 1-2 without raw edges. *sigh*

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! (this smiley face may turn into a crying face...)
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    <.....still cannot get pieces 3-4-5 to attach.......>>>

Sew pieces 3-4-5 together, observe where the line is to attach to pieces 1-2 put face to face... sew... viola!
    Last edited by Sheepshed; 02-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Ok, i'll give that a try. Thanks, Sheep.
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Any tips for turning under the edges? I went to a needle-turned applique class but it was pretty hard. Maybe just cover up the edges with nice stitching? Oh wait, that's another problem, I'd have to be able to stitch curves.
    One of the easiest ways I know is to use a piece of thin muslin or other thin fabric and cut a piece to match your heart. Place them right sides together and stitch 1/4" seam all around the outside. Snip seam on curves so it will lay flat after turning. Next, make a slit in the center of the thin fabric and use this to turn the heart right side out. With a chopstick or other long pointy tool, make sure your seams are well turned and laying flat. Press then stitch to your background fabric by hand or machine, as you wish.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Thanks Pat. I have the latest download for Adobe Acrobat Reader and it is not letting open it. (: Sadness!
    you can make the heart without using the foundation/paper piecing pattern.
    i just grabbed scraps and sewed them together around a randomly selected center.
    trim the excess as you go.
    consider pressing your seams open.
    find or draw any heart shape of the type and size that pleases you.
    use that as a template to cut out the "finished" heart - which you can use in any number of ways to create a final project.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

If this is February #2 block, where would I find January #1 block?

I'm new to paper piecing and I'm kinda confused. Is this paper pieced, or paper pieced in sections or something else? I'm eager to learn but have read the directions several times and can't figure out how to get the all the seams on the same side of the piece. I'm just really confused. I can sew 1&2 together, then do 3,4,5 &6 together but joining the first section to the second creates seams on the wrong side. I could do paper piecing with a new sheet for each section and then one last piece of paper to join it all together I guess. Am I making this too hard or is there some trick I'm not getting? TIA from a novice!

Blog Entries
    yes, trivia42. you are definitely making it too hard.
    HOWEVER, i would bet a nice pile of cash that just about everybody does that the first (or first few, or first several) times they take a stab at paper piecing.

you attach the scraps of fabric to the pattern foundation in the order shown by the numbers.
    all the fabrics go on top, so all the seams are sewn from the back.

i recommend you go to YouTube. search on paper piecing tutorials.
    after watching one or a few i think you'll have a good enough understanding of the process to make this heart and be very pleased with your results.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

I am joining in the confusion. Since the foundation paper is one piece, how does one sew first 1 and 2, the leave those and join 3, 4, 5 and then sew those 2 units together? Both units are attached to your foundation piece. Do you cut the foundation paper into sections?
    I have yet to create more than the most simple PP successfully, so I am definitely in the clear as mud category. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast