Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Quilt Along January 2013 >

Quilt Along January 2013

Quilt Along January 2013

Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Finished two of this weeks blocks. Think I'll skip the Lemon Star block, at least for now.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0396-640x478-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner Dot, got sick with whatever my granddaughter had last week when I was watching her. We still have 3 more weeks of the QA. As for meeting, yes we will, we aren't far from each other. I did go to the quilt show but I was only there for about 90 minutes, took a LOT out of me energy wise, but trust me I did some damage to the checking account in the brief time I was there...LOL 4 quilt kits, some thread from Superior and 5 yards of wool batting.

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Are these the last blocks in this collection?
Rosie, we will meet some day. I am not that far away. Dotty
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Depending on how everyone feels about it I would like to continue with the Quilt Along, not so much to make the quilts bigger..BUT to work on some stuff that we will encounter in the next quilt which is a theme quilt. I would like to know how everyone feels about it?

Some of the stuff we would be focusing on is curves, paper piecing, and templates. Just feel it might be a way to use up scraps and get comfortable so that no one feels overwhelmed when we do the next one.

Also, wanted to know your opinions about when to start the next one. I was originally thinking September, but someone brought up a good point about that's usually when people start to work on their holiday gifts. So with that said, here is the question...

Do we want to start the next Quilt Along in August or September? If we start it in August that will give anyone who wants to participate 4 months to work on the skills needed and pick fabrics. I am in the process of working on the design which than has to be translated into blocks.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Rosie
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Hi
I would like to quilt along, with the next one will you be able to tell us how much fabric is need for the quilt and the size it may turn out. I will need to know at least a month in advance as I order most of my fabric from US and I have to wait for delivery.
Originally Posted by Wyldwytch View Post
Depending on how everyone feels about it I would like to continue with the Quilt Along, not so much to make the quilts bigger..BUT to work on some stuff that we will encounter in the next quilt which is a theme quilt. I would like to know how everyone feels about it?

Some of the stuff we would be focusing on is curves, paper piecing, and templates. Just feel it might be a way to use up scraps and get comfortable so that no one feels overwhelmed when we do the next one.

Also, wanted to know your opinions about when to start the next one. I was originally thinking September, but someone brought up a good point about that's usually when people start to work on their holiday gifts. So with that said, here is the question...

Do we want to start the next Quilt Along in August or September? If we start it in August that will give anyone who wants to participate 4 months to work on the skills needed and pick fabrics. I am in the process of working on the design which than has to be translated into blocks.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Rosie
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Curves and templates and paper piecing - oh my!
Lyn - great question! I would like to pick my fabrics ahead of time too.
Wyldwytch - It doesn't matter to me when we start the next quilt along. I am uber busy right now and I don't see it slowing down for the next 15 years or so... LOL. I'm a single mom to a DD(10) and DS (7). I know I can't wait though!

Last edited by Old_Rosebud; 03-10-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: correcting spelling errors!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Default update

Here's 2, worked on the lemon- whatever today for about 4 hours and it's still not done and not really sure if it ever will be. I don't mind a set in seam here and there but every one of them is a tad bit straining on me at this point. Put it in a bag and maybe someday when I want to get frustrated......The others were perfect and made me very happy, I can say that now. If the fabric in the lemon- would have been heavy enough, I could have thrown it and knocked a window out, trust me you didn't want to be in my sewing cave today the walls heard alot more than they should have. [ATTACH=CONFIG]401061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1233.jpg   dscf1234.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Oh and forgot the question, just keep on going as far as I'm concerned, when I have enough blocks of these fabrics, I'll just pick another one and keep going. It's nice not to have the pressure to get it done. Have time, sew it and if not you don't have to. I also would like to know how large the next "segment" of our quilt along will be though. Just thinking ahead of fabric amounts and maybe what I would like to make. This little journey has been awesome though and I want to thank you so much for doing it. I think I'm going to like this quilt, not sure what I'll do with it but who cares....I'd be sewing something.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Jaba, Nice to know I am not the only one with frustrations on the Lemon star, I measured and cut the templates, but it just does not want to lay flat. I think I will put it in my glass program and print templates from there. I had a cut carefully and even marked the intersections but the sections will not lay flat. Love how the colors work in your last two block.

Lynda, Nice blocks! Have you taken a picture of them all together? I would like to see how they blend.

Wyldwytch,

One vote here for just keep on keeping on. I am putting these into lap quilts so everything for me is from my stach and kind of scrappy. And yes I will do the blocks with curves. As for the next quilt along, I think the when ever you want to start the next one is fine with me, I will be here. I think this time I might actually get fabric just for this project, I have not done that yet. Thank you for all the new skills.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 AM

i didn't jump on board with this one, but i might change my mind and do these blocks. looks like i can learn lots. i looked at this weeks/months easy block. and had not done tri's like that before. soooooo----something to learn. but i have been admiring all the 'free' blocks that are available thru this thread. thanks loads.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM

I joined late, after this was started, and I plan to do the one in September. But after looking at everyone's beautiful blocks, I am thinking i might have to do these. Everyone s doing such a great job. I have saved this thread so I can easily find it.