Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM

I did the first block. It came out very well. I just haven't stitched all the sections together yet. I am trying to decide if I want to use the same background fabric for those four corners on all of them or not. What is everyone else doing? Are you going to use the same fabric for all the four corners on each? When I was getting my supplies out today I noticed that I already owned the longer Add A Quarter Inch ruler which I love!! Last time I did paper piecing I used the shorter one and don't even remember buying the longer one so I was glad to see it!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks again Mirabelle for the cutting sizes for Block 2! That will help a lot. I have several sections of block 1 finished. I like the fabric I chose!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post

SO here is the cutting instructions for Block 2

#6 3 x 2
I just finished this block up to section 6. I cut my section 6 at 4" X 2 1/4". Not sure how you can get it to fit at only 3"? I measured across at cutting line #5, and because cutting line #6 extends a smidge to the left I used that as my left edge which is 3.5".

So I'm wondering ... which line did you use to get the 3"? I probably wasted more fabric than I needed to

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 08-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I just finished this block up to section 6. I cut my section 6 at 4" X 2 1/4". Not sure how you can get it to fit at only 3"? I measured across at cutting line #5, and because cutting line #6 extends a smidge to the left I used that as my left edge which is 3.5".

So I'm wondering ... which line did you use to get the 3"? I probably wasted more fabric than I needed to

DogHouseMom I used Line #5 as my measurement on my pattern piece that line measures 1 5/8 hence I gave a lot of leeway and made it 3 inches. I am really sorry you had problems.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Thanks again Mirabelle for the cutting sizes for Block 2! That will help a lot. I have several sections of block 1 finished. I like the fabric I chose!
You're welcome JeanieG, this is certainly making me do the blocks. I have 3 made, hope to get another one made tomorrow and check my cutting before I write the cutting instructions
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Nygal I am using the same background fabric, it is a small print and I love how it is turning out..
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 AM

The only other paper piecing I've done is my Avatar. I was wondering if you are keeping the paper ON when you sew the six sections together? Or are you taking the paper OFF before you join all the sections together? I think I've read online it can be done both ways. I think I kept the paper on when I did my Avatar..but I don't remember.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 AM

nygal, everybody has their own idea on this subject, my personal way of doing it is to remove the paper and pin pin pin and pin some more. When I started paper piecing about 14 years ago I left the paper on but found that my machines feed dogs didn't like the paper and it wouldn't feed through my machine evenly, also a pain in the petootie to try and pin through paper and fabric without it moving, plus it was a hassle to remove the paper from the seam allowances. So I started to gently remove the paper then join my sections.

I don't remove my papers until I am ready to sew it all together. Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 AM

Nygal, Mb is right. Everyone develops their own way of doing pp. I leave the paper on when sewing the sections together. I place the sections together, use a long pin straight down thru any star points to match the star points then use the small red binding clips all along the section. I can remove the pin and sew the seams removing the clips as I reach them. I don't have any trouble with my machine sewing thru all the layers (except if I've had to use scotch tape for some reason--machine skips on tape).

As an aside, I know someone will "yell" at me for spending the money on the red binding clips and not going to the dollar store and getting stationery clips. For me, the red clips are worth it: they have a flat side so the seam rides flat thru the machine and slide right off as you get to them without having the section pull out of the machine. I do a lot of paper piecing so the extra cost was worth it. If any one is interested, I got 50 of them on Amazon for under $20.00. (Sorry if I sound defensive but on another thread there was a lot of arguing about the cost and benefits LOL).
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 AM

Jan--I too bought the red binding clips and really like them! I never thought about using them to hold pieces together when pp'ing...will have to try that.

Just a few more days and we get to show our 1st blocks...can't wait!! I think I will work on block #2 today.