Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 AM

Am I allowed to make a slight modification in the block? I'm thinking of adding one very small line near the outside edge of block #1. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 AM

CindyA this is your quilt you can do what you like, it will be fun to see your modified block. That's what makes patchwork and quilting so unique to each of us, we put our own spin on patterns and make them our own..
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
So I am not alone? ... please do not leave me in the wilderness by myself!

Perhaps instead of chunking ... it'd be more aptly named "hack and whack" (thanks to JanRN for that phrase!)
I am a chunker, or I guess you could say I "Hack N Wack" I did number all my fabrics for the first block, and because I need to conserve fabric, maybe I will go easy this time.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM

Just finished reading the last few days of everyone's ideas and seeing lots of gorgeous fabrics! I have the first 2 done, except putting the four outside triangles on my second one. I think I am going to use some light batiks on those sections. Not all the same batik, but similar colored. I love the blocks so far! And thanks for the tips offered. I don't think I'd want to teach PPing to newbies because I have learned mostly on my own and don't know all the nifty "helps"! But, I do enjoy the way patterns are so intricate and precise--wow. I have picked up a few more small pieces to add to the collection of colors I chose. It's too much fun not too!!
This is one of the most busy seasons of the year for me with garden harvest and orchard picking and canning. I enjoy it all, but will be glad when it it finished, too.
Have a great day, everyone, and happy quilting!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
The (6) blue fabrics that the QS graciously helped me match up yesterday:[ATTACH=CONFIG]431600[/ATTACH] because if they turn out right, they will go to dd; and for contrast in a setting of 12 will be at least three from the opposite side of the color wheel: [ATTACH=CONFIG]431603[/ATTACH]Colors are a dark red, yellow, gold and brown with a light tone for a white background.
I love the blues, I thing I am going to do several different blus for my squares, blue and white remind me of winter and snow.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Hi all. I am one of the lurkers who is still thinking about if i have the time to do this. I really love it and love paper piecing. I did do the 50 paper pieced stars project and finished it. Life has been a little bit crazy around my house lately. I think things are calming down now. I am hoping to squeeze these in. I am thinking of using white background and doing the rest scrappy. I did the 50 stars with matching backgrounds and the rest scrappy. Hope I can fit this in my schedule. I look forward to seeing everyones beautiful blocks on here even if I don't get to do them. I am a chunker when I paper piece.
Pat
I keep seeing several of you ladies talk about the 50 PP stars project. Was the group started on this board and if so, Is there a thread. I would like to take a look at the stars.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Hey folks I was at my local Wally World today. In the scrapbook section I found a double stick tape--made by the Elmer's Glue that was a reusable temporary adhesive. I've used double stick tape to hold fabric to paper instead of a pin or glue stick. Gonna give this a try when I finally get to Block #1.
So THATS what you do!!! I was thinking to get up hear and ask what yall do because I struggle with getting the fabric to STAY PUT. I have been doing a sewing tack to keep it stay, but of course I have to tear around it.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Lstew2212: BOM
[h=3]50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars[/h]
IN the block of the month section. Its Caroline Doak's pp book on her 50 stars of each state. Book comes with a CD.

Bf is giving me the book and CD. A group is starting in January.

Thanks for the kind words on my blue and white. DD has always liked blue...and me, too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]432460[/ATTACH]Tx bf.[ATTACH=CONFIG]432461[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]432462[/ATTACH]
Mine and ds. Enjoy the "blue" tops I have made. Triple Irish Chain, my own design and Delectable Mountain by E. Burns.
Attached Thumbnails photo_11.jpg   mybluequilt.jpg   s-a2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Yes, the triple chain has a 'heart' in it saying "love texas" and deep in the heart of Texas is the BF and family photo. It honor's his Navy career and her Texas roots.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Wonderful quilts QNS! ! ! Did you embroider your own design or is the fabric like that with those gorgeous blue flowers? If so, would it still be available? I love it!!