Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM

OK, I guess I will jump in and show you all the quilt I have tasked myself to finish before "SPIKING". After laying it out on the bed I decided that it needed a pillow tuck. I added another 18 inches to the top making this quilt a whopping 102"x 120". Today's project is sewing on the binding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dusky-grouse-quilt-002.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 AM

Wow, what a large , beautiful quilt!! Speechless, its so pretty!!:thumb up:
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM

WOW Caroline, that's beautiful! And large too
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM

OK - very pretty. I like the blue background
Kwiltkrazy - cool owls, and I like the one above too!
Anael - blue and yellow are my fav combination
Caroline - love the birds!!

QNS ... OK ... I have pic's of most of my quilts, but not all. When I get home from work I'll post a few. Hmmm ... I think I have one or two pic's here on my office computer.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Indeed I do have some photo's

First up ... "Coupled". Hubby and I vacation at a resort in Jamaica called "Couples". The first year we met another couple from England and while there they got engaged. The following year they decided to get married at the resort. The two intertwined palms is my interpretation of the resorts logo. Below is the quilt, and the quilt on the beach at the wedding. I'm the one not in a wedding dress
Attached Thumbnails twisted-palms.jpg   delivered.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Next up is "I'm having a no hair day" ... this is a chemo quilt I made for a friend last summer. When she first told me that she was diagnosed she said that she was going to get all kinds of crazy whacky wigs when she lost her hair, and I told her to go "Persis Kambata" bald. She did eventually decide on the bald look (and ROCKED it!) and threw herself a big "shave my head" party before the chemo even began. That event gave me the idea for the quilt and I started and finished within a matter of days.

The quilt is strips sewn together (ala "jelly role race" style except I bought yardage and cut my own strips). Then I drew a silhouette of a woman onto Kona solid black as well as the words, fused them on then stitched around the raw edge with a small stitch using clear poly thread. When I quilted, I used black thread to go over the clear poly on all the black areas, I highlighted a few areas of the woman to show shape (under boobs, neck, and she even has 3 pubic hairs), and the background is stippled with some words written in. The label was done on my embroidery machine.

While I'm here, I might as well add an awesome update. She was diagnosed in May, began chemo in June, had a double masectomy in November (her choice to have "the evil sister" removed even though only one was affected), and reconstruction surgery in February. Just this past weekend ... she climbed to the top of Mt. Whitney!! She's an awesome lady, had a great healthy attitude through the whole thing and I knew her sense of humor would appreciate this particular chemo quilt, glad to say I was right.
Attached Thumbnails chemo-quilt.jpg   chemo-quilt-label.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Beautiful quilts everyone...and such variety... The "I'm too sexy" quilt really caught my eye...and the "owl" quilt is sooo cute...sad to say that all my quilts with the exception of one (till stitching it) are still in the "top" stage...I have tried FM and to my dismay is still horrible...I become a robot in the worst sense when it come to that...I will show you the tops after returning from a short stay in NC...
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Love all the 'eye' candy as Honchey would call it. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for sharing beautiful work by your mind and hands. 'Cause the 'mind' has to 'see' the vision to make those lovely quilts and the hands with the help of sewing machines and/or a long arm. All qualify to be a champion over all if it were left to me to judge...with one eye now-has-cataract...and the other blind. Has not stopped me...since they remove the cataracts all the time, everything should go well. More quilts, please show more lovey quilts...
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
JeanieG & QuiltE, I'm thinking with everyone that has expressed to maybe do this and those that have commited to doing this journey we should be close to 60 ???
Honchey ... My list has 55, including the "committed" and those that left me unsure as to whether it was active interest or passive.

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Actually think I learned this from QuiltE while doing PC blocks. That's what you get for Hand Piecing all your barbed wire blocks--you didn't pay attention to the PP hints (She also likes to stitch them in place in the seam allowance area)
OKSGlad ... I cannot take the credit as twasn't I!! OKSG, ITA DD missed those lessons, thanks to all her hand piecing work!! I know who to turn to for advice when I am doing my DJ and screaming my lungs out! (and NO, it will not be hand pieced ... though there's going to be some tense moments as I do applique and will need LOTS of TLC to keep me in love with doing the project!

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel View Post
Sigh... well I WILL pay attention NOW, I guess a girl can start sometime... LOL
DDamsel ... so there is hope for you, yet!
No glue from me, as I always fear the residue that may be left behind, with the time delay from use thru to washing it out. When I want to hold something in place when PPing, I just use long machine stitches ... often put that first piece on with a few long stitches. Then add the next one(s) ... if too large and worried it/they will not lie flat, then some more long stitches. All come out easy enough with the stitch ripper as you move along. Sometimes I do stitch in the final seam edge, though I never trim that final edge off til paper is removed and block has been fully pressed/starched to the max. Then I square all up to get my precise block size.

Another helpful hint ... make those stitches super tiny ... 1.0 or even smaller! I've had no problems taking off my papers, nor with the stitches coming apart.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm ashamed to say that I do not own a single quilt!! ...........When I finish one of these I'm slapping a label on it that say's "you'll have to pry this quilt from my cold dead hands".
Shame on You!!!
and yes, about time you remember it's all about YOU! YOU!! YOU!!!
DHMom ... and such good news about your friend and her latest achievement!

QNSue and All the Quilt Show Ladies! ... what a lovely and varied group of quilts. Totally inspiring

Here's one of the ones that is on my bed ... The centre blocks were extras from the 1st quilt, a sampler that I made when I started back sewing about 8 yrs ago. While simple rail fence blocks I often feel like they are a floral trellis.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432934[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails samplertwo2010-3-.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-29-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM

Nice to see you again QuiltE Your quilt is beautiful. I see you used green on this one too! There are other colours for sashing and borders, did you know that?