Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride >

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM

It’s Done, my first mystery quilt! And I even finished it before the end of the month. Thank you, Judy for a great learning experience. My geese kept getting better and started flying in the correct directions by the border. I used up some of my stash, not much, and learned which of my fabrics I should not use in the future for some projects. I enjoyed reading all the posts and I envy all the quilts I have seen finished. Soon I will try to learn how to do the quilting on my ziz zag machine I don’t use that one often. I like my old Montgomery Wards, It goes forward and backward and like the bunny keeps going and going, my faithful friend. Now onto some BOM’s [ATTACH=CONFIG]391605[/ATTACH]

Judy and all the others thank you again for the inspiration and help I received. This is fun! now if I can only quit my day job I could make sooo many more quilt tops.

Attached Thumbnails dsci2825.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM

The yellow and red is pretty.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Everyones tops are awesome-- but happyjunker I love the way your sashing color and star color makes everything pop !! I now have 4 of these I want to copy !!

Originally Posted by happyjunker View Post
Finished the top! I made 20 9-patches and it measures 72x87. I will be adding a matching black and beige border. Look closely at the very top. Out of all the 3- 2 1/2 X 4 1/2 pieces I put together for the outer frame, of course I had two that matched up to the 9 block below. OY! I didn't notice that until I was sewing it together. Oh well... I think my youngest son is going to receive this as his Christmas present this year. He really likes it, as do I. Thank you Judy for this train ride, it's been a lot of fun for me. I'll post this pic over in the picture section for others on the board to view there.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Mine is together though I am adding a narrow border right now. Any one have any simple ideas on how to quilt the 12x4 areas? My skills are limited, but I'm willing to try something. I called my daughter and asked her not to come this evening so no picture right now. We are fogged in. If I were ambitious, I'd go clean the storage area to see if I can find the USB cords that came with my camera.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 AM

Thank you carrot! It feels very country/homesteady-ish to me. I am very happy with it. I must say, I really do like the red stars on dedemacs! There is another quilt posted with red stars that I really like too. They all came out so different, and very pretty!

Can't wait for the next ride!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Hope on board the Mystery Quilt Train and enjoy this short ride! Welcome to all passengers, returning travelers and first time mystery riders. We had a blast the last three train rides, so settle into the club car, grab a snack and something to drink, and away we go.

In January we all seem to be in limbo or at odds with ourselves. The holidays are over, and whether good, bad or indifferent, there usually seems to be a bit of a let-down by the first of the new year. So, let’s do a quick mystery quilt to rev up our spirits and get us through January. This was designed as a child’s quilt and finishes at 40” x 56” (perfect size for Project Linus) but can easily be doubled to about 56” x 72“ for a nice sized lap quilt. Just double the fabric requirements, and I will let you know as we go along how many extra pieces to make if you are doing the larger quilt. I will put the larger directions in parentheses and in caps to make it stand out. Hope it doesn’t confuse anyone.

Today, Clue 1, you will get fabric requirements, some cutting, and assembly of a few blocks. I think this will be enjoyed by all levels of quilting experience. After all, most of the fun is trying to figure out where this train ride is headed! Clue 2 will be given next Saturday, Jan. 5th, and the final clue on the 12th and I will post by 9:00 a.m. MTS. All clues will be posted ON THIS THREAD so bookmark it for easy access, for whenever you want to check in. I know it will sometimes seem like a lot in one clue, but you can do this at your own pace. I need to get all the clues posted before I go on vacation. And nothing says you have to have it done by the time I get back online, probably on the 28th.

As in the past, I will try to help answer questions about the A and B fabrics, or you can wait until next week when you will find out how the A and B will be used.

For those of you who want to go completely scrappy, I am not going to write the directions out, but you will see what needs to be done after you read Clue 2. Color A can be substituted with scrappy if you plan your scraps right, but I would suggest Color B be kept as a single unbusy pattern, or you will lose the pattern of the quilt top. You will need the same yardage for Color B for this version, and just a lot more scrap pieces in place of the A fabric..

I am using 4-½” blocks, simply because I have a box of them. They are cut as I accumulate small pieces of fabric not big enough to bother keeping, and then use them for the scrappy flower quilts I make.

So, you will need the following --
Color A - ¾ yard - will be cut next week
Color B - ¾ yard - will be cut next week (LARGE SIZE: COLOR A AND B -- 1-½ YARDS OF EACH)
I have used 2 colors with strong contrast. I did not use any of colors A or B in my scrappy blocks.

From the picture, the gold fabric is my color A and the light is color B.

You will need 54 (LARGE: 108) assorted colors and patterns of scrap fabric cut into 4-½” squares, the more different fabrics, the more attractive your quilt will be. (I was lucky enough to have 54 different patterns.)

Cut 44 ( LARGE:60) assorted colors and patterns of scrap fabric cut into 2-½“ x 4-½“ rectangles. (Wasteful, I know, but I used my pre-cut 4-½” blocks and cut off a 2-½” strip, giving me my 2-½ x 4-½” size, and discarded the leftover.)

And you will need four 2-1/2" assorted squares for both the small and large.

If you do not have the 4-½“ squares already cut like I did, an easy thing to do would be to cut a 4-½ x 7“ piece, then cut off 2-½“ giving you a 4-½“ square and a 2-½“ x 4-½“ rectangle.

Using accurate ¼” seams, make 6 (LARGE: MAKE 12) 9-patch blocks from your 54 (108) assorted 4-½” squares, and press well. They will measure 12-½” square. Adjust your needle position if you are not getting a ¼” seam. See the second photo.

I guess that’s enough work to keep you busy for this week, see you a week from today for the next clue. Have a happy new year, and now you have something to do this weekend if you aren’t a football fan!

Approved by Patrice 12/16/2012

Thanks Judy
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM

ok, no one has been by, to hold the quilt up to photograph, so today I took it to the park

[ATTACH=CONFIG]391873[/ATTACH]

the butterfly fabric on the top is what will be the backing.....bought it more than 5 years ago and never figured out what to make with it...but it is perfect with this top.......very first scrappy quilt but it will not be the last..My plan for quilting the 12 inch sections is to stitch in from the edge about 1 1/4 inch and then echo stitch. the 9 patches will be crosshatched and the stars will have 3 or 4 rows of echo stitching with the points flatening and becoming a circle in the center of each star. that is my plan...the quilt will be for my greatgrandaughter Julia...when she is a girl scout and camping...she is almost 7 months old now so I better get with it. Oh, the 4 inch green border is the last of scraps from my avatar quilt and I have just enough of the green used in the 41/2x12 pieces to do the binding.
Attached Thumbnails p1300052.jpg  

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM

SunlitenSmiles I really like it, love the dark sashing rectangles with the yellow stars. I may have to do the same with my quilts when I take pictures in my sewing space always turn out dark and yellowish .
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Very pretty sunlitensmiles! Love your happy yellow stars with the dark green.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
ok, no one has been by, to hold the quilt up to photograph, so today I took it to the park

[ATTACH=CONFIG]391873[/ATTACH]

the butterfly fabric on the top is what will be the backing.....bought it more than 5 years ago and never figured out what to make with it...but it is perfect with this top.......very first scrappy quilt but it will not be the last..My plan for quilting the 12 inch sections is to stitch in from the edge about 1 1/4 inch and then echo stitch. the 9 patches will be crosshatched and the stars will have 3 or 4 rows of echo stitching with the points flatening and becoming a circle in the center of each star. that is my plan...the quilt will be for my greatgrandaughter Julia...when she is a girl scout and camping...she is almost 7 months old now so I better get with it. Oh, the 4 inch green border is the last of scraps from my avatar quilt and I have just enough of the green used in the 41/2x12 pieces to do the binding.
Wow! That's a great quilt for a Girl Scout to be!