Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Tne FWS Quiltalong Week 41 Block 41 Peony & Block 42 Pharlemia >

Tne FWS Quiltalong Week 41 Block 41 Peony & Block 42 Pharlemia

Tne FWS Quiltalong Week 41 Block 41 Peony & Block 42 Pharlemia

Old 06-16-2016, 04:57 AM

Picked out my fabric and will be pressing after the starch sets in...I need more yellow in my blocks so one of these blocks will have some yellow..

Pt later this afternoon then off to my neighbor to help her quilting her first quilt doing cross hatch...She's re-introducing herself with this hobby and needs alot of encouragment after being ill for quite awhile...Although this part of the hobby is not my forte, I will give it a shot..It's always easier when someone else is doing it!!!!

As far as the weather is concerned I'm glad I'm not in Arizona..They will have quite a few days of heat that will be setting records..
Have a good day all, I'll be at the machine for the next several hours...H.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM

Sorry to interrupt, but what does FWS stand for??
Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sue Halter View Post
Sorry to interrupt, but what does FWS stand for??
Farmer's Wife Sampler. Sue, we are doing Laurie Hird's book of 1930's FW blocks as a group.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Have finished Peony and she is not going into my quilt! Laura Aaron Hird is a hand quilter, using the Farmer's Wife Magazine letters from the 1929-1937 from Farmer's wives has written three quilt books. The blocks can be a challenge, especially with one working eye at ninety percent sight. The fourth will be released this fall on the Bible verses. Here's the one and only show of Peony![ATTACH=CONFIG]552320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-dscn0546.jpg  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Thank you! Couldn't figure that one out for the life of me! LOL
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

QNS, all your fabrics look really fun together. Sorry you had so much trouble! This one really was a booger.

When I end up with blocks I am not going to use, I make them into a little sandwich to keep by my machine. I use it to test my machine tension for quilting (I have a lot of trouble and my machine does NOT stay perfectly set), and I also use it as a handy coaster by the machine for my coffee cup! Maybe you can still get some use out of your Peony block!

I keep mine until they are so covered with stitching tests that I can't tell one from another.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:59 AM

Hi Sue, Being I'm the one posting the threads I couldn't fit all the letters in one line so I abbreviated it into FWS...
Got your attention, huh ???
Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Oh My, I just finished "sglk'segtjso" Pharlemia and what a brain teaser she was!!!!
I found that by sewing just the center seams of the outside sections all aroung all I had to do was to sew just the sides it should work out..and it did but with much frustations because the center seams had to be matched perfectly with the side..I had to rip out several of them and re pin, smack down, fold over..the last time I was this frustrated was with a Bird bloc from the first FWS..There is one almost the same in the 90's of this FWS..

Here's Pharlemia...I think when the paper comes off it will lay alot flatterand less twisted in one or two areas..
Attached Thumbnails img040.jpg  
Old 06-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Hat's off to those who did these 'two' and I understand JanRN who opted to do a different design. Smart quilter she is.. wished I had too. I sat down to the second this morning, and lost the templates before I started...found them on the book pages open to the two of those blocks...but thought that was a sign not to start...so I stopped there for today. So give your selves a love pat on the shoulder that you did them. I applause you. Beautiful colors and well done.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:26 PM

Here are my blocks! The heading should be Blocks 81 & 82.
Attached Thumbnails img_0465.jpg