Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
UPDATE FOR THE RHONDA'S  SAMPLER QUILT WORKSHOP - PLEASE READ >

UPDATE FOR THE RHONDA'S SAMPLER QUILT WORKSHOP - PLEASE READ

UPDATE FOR THE RHONDA'S SAMPLER QUILT WORKSHOP - PLEASE READ

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I want to discuss the size of swatches needed for the two sizes of quilt blocks and I need to pass on some info on the templates.

First of all I thank all of you for your interest in this project and thank KClausing for suggesting this. Thank you also for being patient as I get these templates out to everyone.

I have decided to send out the templates as follows:

For the Quilt Block size
6 1/2" - 1 1/2" 2" and the 3" clear template with 30 degree
12 1/2" - 2 1/2" 3 1/2' and a 4 1/2" with the 30 degree

You will need the smaller template for the quilt block with a 6 block across by 6 block down grid. If you don't understand what I mean by this look at one of the quilt block layout pictures and you can see the individual blocks laid out in the rows as you will need to sew them together. There are 6 Boston Blocks in the first row and so on. So this is a 6 by 6 Quilt Block.

You will need the larger of the first two for the 4 by 4 Quilt Blocks.

Now the 30 degree templates will be needed to make the Star Point "Blocks" and later on my Wings "Blocks".

I have everything except the 4 1/2" as it was a last minute decision to add that one. I have ordered them and as soon as I get them I will send them out to everyone who is making the 12 1/2" size. I want this to be fun and not stressful and having this template will make it so much easier to do the steps.

Ok Now for the Swatches. Everyone asks me what size swatch do I need.

The answer is I don't know. Each person has to figure out what they need for that size template. There are too many variables for me to give one answer to that question.

For the Bostons.
Take your template and measure from the center to one corner. Add a 1/2" for 2 seam allowances and you have the width you need for that swatch. The length for this will be the same for the two quarter triangles on the top of the Boston. The dark or long bottom piece will be the width above by the length of the template from corner to corner(not the center) + 1/2 for ease of handling. I rough cut mine which means I cut by eye and cut just a bit bigger than I need. I use a rectangular swatch but I will explain a triangular swatch.

You can cut a square and then cut it from corner to corner to get 2 triangles which you can use for the bottom swatch in the Bostons. I don't recommend it for the light and med swatches for the Bostons but you can if you like.

Star Point swatches

I usually cut rectangles the size I need and then reuse the leftovers. But most people like to minimize the leftovers so here is what I figured out.

I practiced this on paper and here is the measurements for swatches for a 3 1/2" template

Cut a 6" square
Cut it from corner to corner to get 2 triangles
Then do it again to get 4 triangles

For the center you will need a 5 1/2" x 3 1/2' rectangle
Cut this also from corner to corner(opposite corners of course) to get two elongated triangles.

Place the tip of the center with the tip end of one of the outside triangles. When you cut the 30 degree make sure you leave at least 1/4" above where the two are joined at the top.
And again add the second outside triangle to get the joined fabrics you need to be able to cut out a 3 1/2" Star Point Block.
Refer to my Star Point directions if this makes no sense to you.

For the 2 1/2" template

4" square - quartered
4" by 2 1/2" rectangle cut in half into two triangles

This should reduce the waste or leftovers from my original directions.

Please feel free to ask any questions or give me any feedback positive or negative. The negative helps me improve so please ask anything you want or tell me anything you need to.

Have fun everyone!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Rhonda,
I would like to join this sampler quilt. I would like to do it in the 6 1/2 inch size. Could you post your pm so I can give you my address for the templates.

Thank you,
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by new2quilting
Rhonda,
I would like to join this sampler quilt. I would like to do it in the 6 1/2 inch size. Could you post your pm so I can give you my address for the templates.

Thank you,
new2quilting:
In order to send a PM (private message) just click on Rhonda's user ID (which is her name in blue in the upper lefthand corner). This will take you to her profile and you will see PM in blue for private message. Click this and send her a message along with your address. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by new2quilting
Rhonda,

Thank you,
new2quilting:
In order to send a PM (private message) just click on Rhonda's user ID (which is her name in blue in the upper lefthand corner). This will take you to her profile and you will see PM in blue for private message. Click this and send her a message along with your address. I hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks Doug I was working on templates and hadn't checked any threads for awhile so didn't see this message. Thanks for answering her!