Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride! >

Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

Welcome to the Quilting Board’s Mystery Quilt, designed for all levels of quilting abilities, from novice to expert. Enjoy the journey over the next two months!

Your square will work well with a scrappy look, or with themed colors, or with a monochromatic scheme. You will be guided along your mystery tour toward making a 28” square. At this point you can decide if you want to add borders to complete this as a wall hanging (34”) or perhaps a crib quilt (40“ square). If you wish, you can make four or six or these 28” sections, and make a lap quilt. Naturally, you will need four times or six times the fabric for a larger quilt.

The 28” square will be completed in five lessons, the first lesson being posted below, and the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] , 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] sets of directions will be added to this thread every two weeks on 3/5, 3/19, 4/2 and 4/16. If you wish to go slower, no problem -- take your time, there are no Quilt Police to say you have to do this in two-week intervals. We all would love to see your pictures posted as you chose your fabrics and the mystery unravels.I have chosen the fabrics shown in the picture at the bottom of this posting. I picked the blue and orange floral first, then picked 4 fabrics to coordinate with it. The bright orange (color F - the little piece of paper didn't show in the photo) will be a dominant color and will show prominently in the quilt If asked, I will try and help you choose without giving away the mystery.

Fabric requirements listed below are to make a 28” square. You will need additional fabric for borders if you want to complete as a wall hanging or crib quilt -- I would figure on ¼ yard more for the wall hanging, and ½“ yard for a crib quilt plus binding.

Yes, there are 6 colors in this quilt, but not large amounts of each. I think you will be pleased with the results. Make sure your printed fabric measures 42 across -- some unprinted selvedges are getting wider these days, and you will need this width of printed material. (Or an additional WOF if you will need to cut an additional piece)

CHOOSE YOUR FABRICS
Color A ½ yard
Color B C D E and F -- ¼ yard of each

CUTTINGColor A - cut one WOF (width of fabric) 2-½” wide and three WOF 3-¼” wideColor B C D and E - cut one WOF 2-½” wide of EACH of the four fabricsColor F - cut four pieces that measure 4-½” x 9-½”. Cut two WOF that measure 1-½” wide

Bookmark this page and check back thread on March 5[SUP]th[/SUP] for Lesson 2. Welcome aboard the Mystery Tour Train.

(approved by Patrice 2-20-2012)
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-20-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Thank you for doing this Judy. I am in. Sounds like fun. I love mysteries.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Welcome aboard! Can't wait to see your fabrics when you have them picked out.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I "might" join this Mystery.

Could you please clarify ....

About the colours ... Do you have guidance, such as lights/darks/mediums/brights/blenders/prints etc.
or just choose 6 fabrics that go together?

I also noted that you said F is a dominant ... yet that A is the one we need 1/2 yard.

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Here are the fabrics I am thinking. A thru F, left to right. Are these OK?
Attached Thumbnails hpim1185.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM

Oh this sounds great & I want to participate, too!! I will go & check my fabric's to see if I can come up with six that go together. Can't wait for the next lesson to get started!! Thank you for putting this together Judy.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

This looks fun. I will check to see what will work for this. By responding will the thread come to my mailbox? I forget how to join unless I just look for it.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM

QuiltE - I just picked a print I liked and found 4 fabrics to go with it. The F color is most dominent if it is a dark or a bright because it will be in the center of the quilt.

Florence, your colors are perfect!

Sulabug, nice to see you again - been a while. Welcome.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
This looks fun. I will check to see what will work for this. By responding will the thread come to my mailbox? I forget how to join unless I just look for it.
It depends on your settings. This is what I do.
1. Go to Thread Tools above the first post.
2. On the Dropdown menu I choose Subscribe to this Thread.
3. On the next page, go to Notification Type.
4. I choose Instant Notification by email.
5. Click Add Subscription.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
QuiltE - I just picked a print I liked and found 4 fabrics to go with it. The F color is most dominent if it is a dark or a bright because it will be in the center of the quilt.
Thanks for the info ... one more simple question ... should A be a print?