Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
1948 video on sewing clothes >

1948 video on sewing clothes

1948 video on sewing clothes

Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
Loved the video..brought back memories of my Home Ec..class ..all four years of high school..graduated in 1960..oh my that was a long time ago..but wouldn't take anything for what all we were taught...use those skills all the time...
Graduated the same time. My Home Ec teacher taught us all the finishing tricks that were used for Neiman Marcus clothing. She also taught us to cover shoes in fabric to match our dresses.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Boy, I remember my home ec classes. Most schools don't even teach it any more. It is expensive to sew today with the cost of pattern, buttons, zipper, fabric, interfacing, etc. The best thing about sewing your own clothes is they fit when done.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

Wonderful! I wasn't allowed to take Domestic Science in high school as I was in the college track. Work track meant typing, shorthand, bookkeeping, sewing, cooking, etc. College track was foreign language, sciences, math and literature. My Grandma taught me to sew and in college I earned spending money by taking up hems, sewing buttons and other things for the girls who didn't know how. I taught my daughter to sew and she earned money in college the same way. I think all girls and boys should take what I would call "Living Essentials" and learn simple sewing, cooking, budgeting, child care, and maybe there would be happier marriages
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=quiltinglady-1;5970334]Remember the Singer manual that had the instructions of what to do before you started sewing for the day?

I've been searching for this Singer manual but can't find it. Apparently I didn't bookmark it...I hope you did? If you did, would you please share? Thank you very much! Granky
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=granky;5998985]
Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
Remember the Singer manual that had the instructions of what to do before you started sewing for the day?

I've been searching for this Singer manual but can't find it. Apparently I didn't bookmark it...I hope you did? If you did, would you please share? Thank you very much! Granky

Which Singer manual are you looking for? I don't remember which one I saw this in, but it was probably a generic thing in all of the manuals for a while, I'm sure. I will try searching for one and send it to you.