Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS >

2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS

2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS

Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Default 2 New Scams to be aware of - Microsoft and IRS

I just read about 2 new phishing scams that are out there.

They seem to be done similarly....phone caller says they are from Microsoft Tech support and try to get you to give them access to your computer.

The IRS one sounds pretty convincing too. They say you owe on back taxes. The police are coming and you or your spouse will be arrested if not paid...guess they sometimes send followup emails too.

I read this on CNet - so you can look it up yourself. Just want to share so please don't agee to anything...get a call back number and then call the right place and ask about it.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM

The IRS will never call you to tell you that you owe taxes. They also will not ask you to pay over the phone. They always send a letter. Sometimes several, if you do not respond. There would come a time when they send a registered letter, as they want a paper trail to document their process. But, that is why we retain a good accountant, to take of these things.
Microsoft will not call you either. It is hard enough to get them on the phone when you do need help, so them calling you out of the blue, is pretty slim. I got the call last week. I told them my kitchen window always sticks, so they need to come out and fix it. Confused the not-so-good-English-speaking man on the other end of the line. Lol, every time he said it was about my Windows computer, I would say my computer is fine, it's my kitchen window that I had a problem with. Finally told him that I liked fruit, that is why that silver box had an apple on it. He hung up.
Unfortunately, they only need one person to take the scam and either give them a credit card or open their computer and give these slime balls access to that computer. The elderly seem to be taken easily.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 AM

I had the "microsoft tech support" call several times a day. They would start at about 9PM and call throughout the night. When the call comes thru caller ID identifies it as anonymous. I reported the number to the FCC
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 AM

The IRS scam was on the news last night. These callers are targeting businesses owned and employing non-American born and or illegals. And by the way the real IRS do call. I inherited an IRS tax lien. The threatening calls started 2 days after my husband passed. They said they were going to take my home-all the furnishings and my vehicle and 2/3 rds of my disability. I talked with a tax attorney and he said they can not do any of these things and he sent me forms to fill out with instructions on how to file them. It boiled down too-It was not my debt and I am the injured widowed spouse.But I no longer hear from them ghouls.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 AM

Also one locallly that says they are from the local light and water company and you are in arrears on your bill, but if you give them your credit card number you can avoid being turned off immediately. NEVER give financial info over the phone unless you initiate the call.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 AM

I got a call from "Microsoft tech support" my dh picked up the phone and then I piked up the phone I heard what they were saying and I yelled into the phone scam scam scam and we hung up.It was in thanks to someone here on the board I had read it the the day before. So thanks to the person who posted it.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 AM

I've also been getting the emails from "traffic court" in another state. I haven't been out of Alabama for at least 3 years now, and these emails say that I owe for recent tolls not paid in New Jersey, and I've never been to New Jersey!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
The IRS will never call you to tell you that you owe taxes. They also will not ask you to pay over the phone. They always send a letter. Sometimes several, if you do not respond. There would come a time when they send a registered letter, as they want a paper trail to document their process. But, that is why we retain a good accountant, to take of these things.
Microsoft will not call you either. It is hard enough to get them on the phone when you do need help, so them calling you out of the blue, is pretty slim. I got the call last week. I told them my kitchen window always sticks, so they need to come out and fix it. Confused the not-so-good-English-speaking man on the other end of the line. Lol, every time he said it was about my Windows computer, I would say my computer is fine, it's my kitchen window that I had a problem with. Finally told him that I liked fruit, that is why that silver box had an apple on it. He hung up.
Unfortunately, they only need one person to take the scam and either give them a credit card or open their computer and give these slime balls access to that computer. The elderly seem to be taken easily.
Love your answer! I may have to borrow that the next time I get called!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what she said. I've gotten same emails and send them to the trash bin. Don't even open the email just send to the trash bin. Often if you open it can be a virus.
Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM

I literally just got off the phone with the Microsoft scam. I told the guy it was a BS phone
call, plus, it was not even 9 am so by law he shouldn't be calling my home....he mumbled something and hung up