Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them? >

Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them?

Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 AM

Default Acryllic Nails - how long have you had them?

I just got a set for the first time and have had them filled once. I love them! My nails are always pretty, never break, chip, or need filing and I have so many compliments on them. Yes, it's a bit expensive but so is fabric .

Anyway, my question is for those of you who have had them, how long have you had them on? Will you go back to your regular nails? If you have taken them off how have they affected your regular nails?
Attached Thumbnails nails.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 AM

I had acrylic nails for 4-5 years. Then I developed melanoma and my dermatologist advised me to get rid of them because melanoma could develop under the nail and I would not see it, so I took them off. The first month they looked pretty bad but with lotions, oils, etc they looked fine after the first month. They don't affect the growth of the real nail. It's just the adhesive makes the real nail scuffed once it's off and only regrowth gets rid of that.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I have had them on and off for years- haven't had them now in a couple years- but at one time had them for over 2 years continually with no problems . Depending on how you take them off and when is how the nails underneath will look.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM

I used to wear them when I worked and could afford them. I never had any trouble. I just had something new done. It is called Shellac (spelling). It is a nail polish and top coat that they put under a UV light and it dries right away. They feel just like acrylic real strong and the polish is supposed to last 3 weeks. I will see, but they look great and alot cheaper than the acrylic.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Never done them....as a nurse....infection precautions. So I splurge on my toenails. Besty and I just had pedi's yesterday!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM

I can't stand to even wear nail polish. .....lol

Make-up even makes my skin feel funny, so I don't even wear that.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM

I have had acrylics for several years - love them! Shop around for prices! I have gone without for short times after a couple years to help keep my own nails healthy.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM

I had them years ago and really liked them but in the last few years I have gone natural and short. A friend who is a nurse said that the fingernails were the prime source for fungus and infections so I keep them short and unpolished now. It does make is easier not having to worry about them and without the acrylic nails I never did do polish.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM

I've had them on for 12 years continuously. I've never had any problems. I have horrible nails and acrylics let me feel like I don't need to hide my hands. I go to a reputable salon that uses high-quality products. It costs a little more but it's worth it not to have to worry about infection or other problems. I have broken a nail off occasionally so I get a look at my original nails sometimes - they are fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM

I have had acrylic nails for about 10 years, at least. Like some of the others...I do see my nails whenever I have a new full set put on. Tried (several years ago) to go back to natural...but was not happy. My real nails were very thin and weak. I do not wear my nails really long (hate that look) but I do like the fact that they are longer than I was ever able to get my real nails to grow. My polish does not chip away and my nails always look nice. It just makes me feel good! I have regular pedicures, also.