Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for advertising/running a garage sale >

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 AM

I have never held a garage sale before and I have some nice stuff to sell. As all money is going to be donated to muscular dystrophy research, I have neighbors donating items also. I am very excited to make a good profit but was wondering if people had some tips as how to advertise well and encourage profits. I am also a bit nervous about negotiating prices...

Do you have any advice about garage sales? This will be held on Sept. 10th.

THANKS!!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 AM

put prices on everything!! I hate having to ask, How much is this, How much is that?

Make sure buyers know money is going to charity!! Should make them want to buy more!

Don't be afraid to bargain, buyers love that. Good luck!!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 AM

Hopefully some of your neighbors can help. You will need help. Make sure and mention all money will be donated. If you want to get rid of something let it go cheap. If antique dealers come and try and talk you down go half more then what they offer. The way to tell a dealer is they move fast and grab all the old stuff. I can spot them a mile away. Hope this helps. I would help if I lived closer. Good Luck!!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 AM

Give good directions to your sale. ( esp if you are in the counry) A lot of big signs help.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 AM

If you have any free newspapers on line locally, that is a wonderful place to advertise. And, yes, say it is for a charity.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 AM

add 10% more than u wont that way they can bargen with u that makes them think they got a good deal
Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 AM

If you put up signs, make sure you use a heavy black marker. People want to read it from the car, and make sure you put prices on everything. Advertise in your local newspaper. Also, be ready to set up and start selling early. If the sale is 8 to l, be ready to start by 7. They will come!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 AM

If it is a nice day (and we all hope it is) also have bottled water, juice boxes and pop right by the 'check out'.
open at 8? I have had people show up at 6:30 already looking,and commenting...why aren't they out here....
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 AM

Advertise on Craig's List. Make a quick list of some of the items for sale. Mention the street address and the hours. Mention that Early Birds will have to pay double

Have an extension cord set up for those wishing to try out electrical items.

Have store circulars with prices of new items placed next to similar, gently used items, because people love to compare prices.

Make sure you go to the bank the day before and change about $75 into small bills.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Have signs with BIG ARROWS that can be seen from at least a hundred feet away. You might want to do a test run to see if they are easy to make out while going by in a car.

The DATES in big letters is also helpful.

When I go to garage sales, my method is to cruise the streets and follow the arrows. If I can't see the arrow in time to turn the corner, I missed the sale. Plus, it's hazardous to make an abrupt turn with someone on your tail!

I can't read one inch high pencilled words on a cardboard box!

It's also helpful to have all of one's signs be the same. Those trails are easier for me to follow, too!

(By the same, I mean, for examples, all the signs are hot pink with similar lettering, or on a paper plate, or the same size black on white)

Take the signs down when the sale is over!

Some sellers are willing to negotiate on the afternoon of the last day of the sale.

As far as negotiating/bargaining/haggling goes - that's up to you - you can put up signs saying that everything will be 1/2 price (except for maybe a few items) on the last day if you want -
if an item has a firm price on it, some sellers have the price and "firm" also on the tag.

I sometimes will ask a seller "Would you consider such and such" for an item. Some sellers will consider it - some won't.

Make sure items are clean. Get most of the dust off furniture, etc.

If you can hang garments, do so.

Also, if you could have a try-on area (that doesn't happen often, but it's awesome when it does!)

Group like items together.

Try to keep pairs of footwear together.

Have beverages for sale. Coffee if it's cold. Sodas, water, and juices if it's hot.

If this is a cash only sale, include that in the advertising and have it on a sign near the entrance of your sale.

Have helpers for the first few hours of the sale.

If you have a lot of stuff, perhaps rent a tent?

Some free stuff is good, too.

If you have pets, confine them. If you have very young children, make sure that they are accounted for, too.

Price tags - as a buyer, I want something that won't leave a mark when I try to remove it. As a seller, I would want something that would stay on the item until it is sold.

Also - be aware that some "buyers" will consider switching tags or try to tell you that the price is different from what you KNOW you put on it.

Parking - need a place to park and a way to get out!
If there are parking restrictions, make sure the shoppers know about them. Some areas don't allow on-street parking, or there's a fire hydrant, or one-side of the street only parking.

Have a back-up plan if the weather is "unfriendly"

Wear comfortable shoes.

Keep most of your cash "away" from the general traffic.