Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice - stained old linens >

Advice - stained old linens

Advice - stained old linens

Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 AM

I recently found a twin size quilt in a 2nd hand store. It was loaded with all kinds of yellowish like water stains. I sprayed the worst of them with Shout Then I poured a cup of Shout into the washer and soaked it over night. I air dried it and it had 2 area's on the end that I had to Shout a second time. No more spots. I am not a fan of pink but this is a hand stitched quilt of pastel pink flowers on a white field-the center is a single Wedding Ring and in the middle of the ring and all around it is Fans in alternating directions. And the the hem is scalloped and now I have this very adorable little quilt
Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM

Ok, fellow linen lovers. I soaked the stained apron in oxy for 2 days. Today I rinsed it, ran it through the washer and hung it on the line. It was not a very sunny day but there was some sun. Voila - the stains are gone!!

I'll try some of the pillow cases next. I'll let you know in 2 days I guess.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Oxyclean is really good for soaking old linens.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:28 AM

Success!!! I soaked 6 pillowcases for 2 days. The 4 that were lightly stained came out fine. The 2 that were heavily stained still have some markings. I've hung them in the sunshine and I'll let you know later if that does the trick. Otherwise I'll bet 2 more days of oxi will take care of it. Now I am soaking some of the aprons.

For the record, I'm using the Dollar Tree Oxi - LA's Original I think it's called - or maybe Totally Awesome. I'm using one scoop into a bucket full of hot water, I'd guess 2 gallons. I agitate it whenever I go by, maybe once or twice a day. Today I dumped the whole bucket of dirty oxy water right into the washer along with detergent and a regular load's worth of water.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM

The sunlight helped the last 2 pillowcases a lot. There are just the tinest of dots left on them. Almost all of the stains are gone.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM

I have now washed and line dried all the stained linens. I used the Dollar Tree brand of Oxy cleaner because that's what I had in the house. I mixed a bucket full of hot water with 1 scoop of the cleaner and let my fabrics soak for at least 2 days. Then I machine washed them. I put the oxi water from the bucket right into the washer and added detergent. I line dried them in the sun.

95% of the items came out perfectly clean. A couple pieces still have some stains. Now I'll put them all away until I find a use for them. At least they are clean. Thanks for everyone's help and I hope this thread helps someone else too!