Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
After 7 days I have power!!! >

After 7 days I have power!!!

After 7 days I have power!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 PM

I am one of the lucky ones I had water.No more cold showers.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

:D Great feeling when you flip the switch and lights come on!!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I am so happy for you! Irene did a number on us here on the Albemarle Sound but mostly it was picking up and hauling away yard debris. Some pier damage but not bad as it could have been. Still it took DH and I all week to get the yard back to normal and I still have stuff in my house we removed from the yard and porches to put back in place. The good news was that we got power back after only 36 hours. Our Electric Coop is amazing and we are all so grateful to them for going above and beyond to take care of us. So glad your no power ordeal is over. I have been without power more than once for a week and hurricanes were the culprits both times. Here's to a long hot bath or shower!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM

We were out in NY hse for 7 days and vacation hse in RI for 5 days...decided to stay in RI since we are on the lake and could use that water to flush...no water (well). I now know how Laura Ingals felt...bringing buckets of water up from the creek. Cooking over a camp fire etc...reading by candlelight. And NO SEWING...thought I could start cutting for Dresden plate quilt or use my "GO"...but didn't have an iron since my scraps were full of wrinkles...How did they survive!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

It's tough when you have no power.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
We were out in NY hse for 7 days and vacation hse in RI for 5 days...decided to stay in RI since we are on the lake and could use that water to flush...no water (well). I now know how Laura Ingals felt...bringing buckets of water up from the creek. Cooking over a camp fire etc...reading by candlelight. And NO SEWING...thought I could start cutting for Dresden plate quilt or use my "GO"...but didn't have an iron since my scraps were full of wrinkles...How did they survive!!!!!
Too bad you didn't have an old flat iron. You could have heated it over the fire. LOL Treadle sewing machine, anyone?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 PM

We were without electricity for 9 days just before Christmas a few years ago. The installation of a gas water heater was done the day after it came on. I can be cold and I can eat cold food but I need a shower.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Glad you got it back on. I can't imagine going that long without.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM

The November after we moved into this home (1999), we had a major unseasonal snow storm. I was alone (DH worked in the US) did not know any of the neighbours (had only been here a month) and could not realisticaly leave the house (cats). Thank goodness we had a fireplace. Dug out the camping supplies and camped in the living room--hot dogs and canned soup were my friends. 4 cats are really good insulation. But that experience taught us. Now the house is wired for a generator, we have a propane stove and our neighbours are our best friends. Believe me, I know what you have experienced. ((hugs))