Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions >

for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Please excuse my stupid question, but I really don't understand, since I do not usually carry a purse (but your pics have really been tempting me to make a tote and begin to carry it)!

When you have a very large bag - do you fill it up? If you do fill them - doesn't it hurt your back or shoulders?

If you don't fill them - why do you want a bag so large? I see women with large bags that just hang and flop around as if they are empty. A woman at church leaves her bag hanging open, and as she is in the pew in front of me, and when we stand to sing or read the Bible I can't help but see only a couple things in it - so why such a huge bag?

In all honesty, part of my question comes from the fact I work security at a department store, and big bags often mean trouble!

And while I am asking questions - why do some women have bags that hang to their knees? Isn't that uncomfortable, having it bonk you in the leg with each step? And having to grab hold and pull it up if you need to get into the bag?

Hope I don't offend anyone. I just really don't understand the obesession with huge bags. On the rare occasion I do carry a bag, it is quite small, with only the bare necessaties in it.

As I said though, some of your pics have really been tempting me to make a LITTLE bag!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

I understand where you're coming from! I've wondered that myself.

I sometimes carry a purse. OK, I always have one in the car but I hate carrying it around and usually just have my license and credit card in my pocket.

But I do like totes for things such as going to the library....if I can remember to bring them to stores I use them instead of the plastic grocery bags...I use them to take stuff to quilt classes....

I also do not get the point of carrying a huge purse. I personally do not want the weight, nor do I want to be responsible for carrying everyone else's stuff, which is what usually happens.

I'll be watching here to see others responses because I'm curious too!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:04 PM

It's a woman thing, I thought :D :lol: :-D I admit I carry a med to large purse. But I'm on the road and I need several things with me. Never thought of it on your end. In all honesty; I've seen women put things into their purses,bags, shirts. I always tell a clerk. Again a woman thing :oops:
Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM

I go through stages...

When I carry a large bag, I add a quilting project to it, a library book, and sometimes my netbook. I also have a bottle of water and snack in my bag, and a blood sugar monitor. If my brother travels with me I carry a large bag because he has to carry Depends everywhere and I can "hide" them.

I have a special large purse I carry on Sundays that will hold my bible when the bag is zipped.

During the regular times, I carry a quilted purse that is medium sized and change it often with the seasons or the mood.

Sometimes I just carry a wrist wallet with my keys and id. I wear it like a corsage. ;-)
Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM

I carry a tiny little purse, on the other hand my DDIL carries a large purse but she has two kids and carries diapers and toys in hers.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:41 PM

I carry a medium to large size purse, but it holds all of my stuff...and my hubby's!!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM

i carry a med to large purse too and a ton of stuff in it.
The few times i have switched to a small purse, whatever i left out is always what i need. My totes i use for quilt classes, or as a small suitcase when i am traveling. I take to guild each month with whatever i need in it. totes are great.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I have always carried a med to large purse. I used to keep all my kids things in it when they were small and now DGD stuff is in there.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 AM

I like a tote when I shop at a mall, etc. Nice to put those little bags all in one place.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Oh, that reminds of a funny photo that wasn't even supposed to be funny. It was a nice tranquil setting of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. She had a purse! So we got to giggling what she'd keep there: No address book because Adam was the only other person on the earth. No photos of grandkids. No cell phone. No house keys. The list goes on and on.