Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
American Quilters Society questions ??? >

American Quilters Society questions ???

American Quilters Society questions ???

Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Default American Quilters Society questions ???

I got an e-mail from them today wanting me to join up.. I think it was $12.99 for the year with lots of perks, Ironically, in todays SNAIL mail I received another sign up thing with lots of perks and a 10% JoAnn's discount every time I buy something there. ($20.00 for the year!) Anybody belong to this and is it worth it... pro's and con's please... ???????
Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM

I have been a member for several years. I always enjoy the magazine, the discount for Joanns, discount admissions for AQS shows. And free access to a bunch of quilt patterns in the Web site. To me it's worth it just for the magazine.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I agree, the magazine alone is worth the subscription, but you can also buy their books and other publications at a discount (the more you buy, the greater the discount, have friends order with you) -- and those are some of the best quilting books published.
You will have to sign up at Joanns when you get your AQS card to get the 10% discount.

Jan in VA
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 AM
ro
Banned

i've belonged for a few years myself and think it is worth it. the magazines are nice and the e-mails great with free patterns. not to mention the joanns discount.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I had wondered about this, thank you for the info.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I used to belong and never got a discount at JoAnn's. They were just no help. I enjoyed the magazine with the occasional pattern though.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Does JoAnn's use this 10% on one item? Total purchase? And will they use it on sale items? Seems like I never have the right 'formula' when I go to JoAnn's.

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
I got an e-mail from them today wanting me to join up.. I think it was $12.99 for the year with lots of perks, Ironically, in todays SNAIL mail I received another sign up thing with lots of perks and a 10% JoAnn's discount every time I buy something there. ($20.00 for the year!) Anybody belong to this and is it worth it... pro's and con's please... ???????
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM

FYI - Just had a look and the "subscription" is now $25.00 / year.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM

I am a charter member of AQS, and have enjoyed a lot of their benefits...up to and including special fees for their quilt shows. This is one of the organizations I will belong to until I die...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM

I'm a member too, it's the only quilting magazine I receive and I do enjoy it. Some ofthe other perks I use: discount on books (you also get a coupon every year you renew that you can use against a book purchase - and Jan is right - some of the best books are the AQS books!), discounted admission fee for their shows, and discounted purchase prices on other items (I purchased two of the "Egyptian Tent Makers" quilts last year and the discounts on those alone paid for my past 6 years AQS membership fees!).