Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Annoying telemarketer phone calls >

Annoying telemarketer phone calls

Annoying telemarketer phone calls

Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 AM

All my telemarketers are recordings that you have to punch a number to get to a real person. Get a call most everyday if not twice. I've punched the number a couple of times to tell them to take me off their list and that I'm on the "no call" list but doesn't seem to help. They're also somehow rigging their phone line thru another person's phone number so it looks like they are calling instead of them. A couple of times my own phone number showed on the Caller ID but they miss spelled my last name. I've had to block my phone number now. Even had one come up as Skype user and a 000-000-0000 too. What will they think next? Can't report them cause you can't get their real phone number. I usually just let the phone ring these days.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 AM

Had a friend who let them go through the whole spiel and then hesitated, stammered, and said, "I don't know what you want I'll have to ask my guardian." They quickly hung up.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 AM

how fun -- good for you -- my husband's favorite is the one where they say that they are in our area and he asks what area that might be -- I finally got a real info call about the fact that some agency would be spraying for mosquitoes to cut down the spread of West Nile virus in our area and I listened instead of politely refusing their services or hanging up if it is computer generated, my usual actions -- I know that they are trying to do a job, but it is irritating to get so many of the calls every day
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 AM

I love caller id. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

It took me a little time to find this on youtube but it is hilarious and a terrific way to deal with a telemarketer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpzLxYnpG4
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Sometimes I answer and just keep saying who? Who? What? Then they hang up. These calls are so annoying.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 AM

When I answer the phone "hello" and there is a slight delay....that is my clue this is a telemarketer. I say "hello" again and again and again, by that time you have determined who it is because they keep repeating who they are each time you say "hello". After the 4th time, I usually say "Oh this phone isn't working" and hang up...they don't call back.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I have been plagued lately. I' very won money but I have to buy magazines on my credit card to get it. I told them I don't have a credit card but send me the magazines and my monetary prize and I will pay them...click

Microsoft calling that my computer is sending out data....I told them I have an Ipad....click

If they persist I tell them I am on do not call registry (I jot down any info they provide #from caller ID, name of person and company) and am reporting them

And if I don't feel like messing with them I hang up. It might be their job but NO should be sufficient for them to back off.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 AM

I read an article, I believe in the Reader's Digest, written by telemarketer's
and one of the things they said is never engage them in any conversation. They said the best way to have them take you off the list is to say "hello" and nothing more. Let them continue to say "hello", "HELLO", until they finally hang up. I've tried it several time and find I get a kind of savage amusement from hearing them trying to figure out why nobody is answering them.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 AM

THIS is the BEST!!!!! LOL

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Had a friend who let them go through the whole spiel and then hesitated, stammered, and said, "I don't know what you want I'll have to ask my guardian." They quickly hung up.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 AM

Phones here are becoming obsolete. Mine rings 1ce a mth. I have turned the ringer down, it goes voicemail. Tele don't leave messages. I use phone for dialing out only, not intake. Their is nothing worse when I am sewing and have to get up to answer tele.. They usually bombard on internet because cable company and employers sell address.. Internet is deleted, easy.