Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM

A dumb looking bread box that he won on a tipboard.Finally just gave it away.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
One year hubby got me one of those really expensive kitchen mixers -- couldn't wait to give it to me so HE opened the box and read all the instructions, etc. before I even knew he'd bought it. Very nice gesture but, hey, I don't cook or bake much -- it's now about 5 years old and is still unused......
At least you got a gift. Every year my husband asked me what I wanted; then told me to go buy it. I always told him I wanted a ruby ring, and he said to go pick one out and he would pay for it. After he died my DD, my DDIL, & I went for a girls weekend out. They wanted to go into this cool jewelry store that made custom rings. I saw a neat engagement ring and asked him if he could put a ruby in it. Of course he said yes, so he let me pick out the ruby from a pile on the counter and voila I have my ruby ring. My DD & DDIL were shocked. I figured it was time to recoup all my missed opportunities for the ruby ring.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM

The 3 or 4 years in a row I got pink fuzzy slippers even after asking and giving him a picture of the ballerina slippers that I wanted, and the year I got musical Cocker Spanials, never was a great dog lover, Like cats!!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
One year hubby got me one of those really expensive kitchen mixers -- couldn't wait to give it to me so HE opened the box and read all the instructions, etc. before I even knew he'd bought it. Very nice gesture but, hey, I don't cook or bake much -- it's now about 5 years old and is still unused......
At least you got a gift. Every year my husband asked me what I wanted; then told me to go buy it. I always told him I wanted a ruby ring, and he said to go pick one out and he would pay for it. After he died my DD, my DDIL, & I went for a girls weekend out. They wanted to go into this cool jewelry store that made custom rings. I saw a neat engagement ring and asked him if he could put a ruby in it. Of course he said yes, so he let me pick out the ruby from a pile on the counter and voila I have my ruby ring. My DD & DDIL were shocked. I figured it was time to recoup all my missed opportunities for the ruby ring.
:thumbup:
Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM

For mothers day one year, my DH gave me my very own weed wacker. I thought I could get mad ...or get even! So on Father's day, he recieved an expensive quilting book. We laughed so hard about it. We have done the same thing each year since.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM

A bowling ball for my first anniversary.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM

First present DH gave me was a tube top that said "Jogging" on it. (I am a 34DD). He thought it was a skirt.
We quickly decided to make a donation to charity in lieu of giving each other presents.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM

My late DH once gave me a 30.30 Winchester, which I used deer hunting with him.
Since that was such a hit with me, for some oddball reason, my usually sensible brother gave his wife a chain saw, I guess thinking they could bond better while sawing up wood. He was honestly bewildered when she was royally ticked off at him and wouldn't speak to him for days at a time. And when she did he wished she hadn't!!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:42 PM

I've gotten a miniature cactus, and a PS3. Considering when I opened the box for the PS3, I didn't know what it even was.. I was livid.

Oh, and my 2 mothers days.. nothing. Not even a card.

He does however get me a pair of socks every year for my birthday and Christmas. I have very warm feet.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:53 PM

The first Christmas we were married my DH gave me a pair of earrings - they were raindeer. I am the least whimsical person you will ever meet. I just looked at him and then asked if we had ever met - because if we had he would know that I would never put them anywhere near my earlobes.

He still brings up how ungrateful I was but he has gotten much better at gift giving. Several years ago, the gift was another set of earrings - diamonds this time. He learned. ;)

P.S. I forgot - when we were dating he bought me a pool cue for my birthday. We had played pool a few times but I didn't feel the need to have my personal pool cue. Upon reflection, it's shocking that I married him.