Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
another business in Ohio closing? >

another business in Ohio closing?

another business in Ohio closing?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM

How sad! I grew up in souther Ohio in New Carlisle. We moved to VA after my Dad died so my Mom could be closer to her family. I have been back one time since then and was amazed at the changes.

Especially the neighborhood I grew up in. NOTHING looked like I remembered. :( So many stores and places closed and gone. :cry:
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Yep. It seems to have been moving in the direction of a ghost town for many years now. I was born and raised in the Massillon area but I left 4 months after I graduated high school in 1981 knowing my job prospects were few and far between. Like seemingly thousands of others, I headed south to Texas and the rest is history. I have been fortunate enough to have never been involuntarily un or under employed in my whole adult life. A lot of the reason may have been luck, but I'm sure a lot of it was location. My 3 siblings all left as well in search of a more secure future. When I look at the people I graduated high school with it seems many of them have had a rather rough road as far as employment goes.
I will always be grateful for all the wonderful friends I had growing up, and the education I received in public school was second to none. Unfortunately, the employment outlook in the area has remained perpetually bleak for decades now.

Go Buckeyes.
Lori
Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM

So sorry to hear about this. I know it is terrible out there. Small business taking the big hit! Wishing I could do something to help.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope and pray things get better soon. So many people are out of work. A columnist in our local paper wrote an article on helping others get through the winter. I put a couple of sweaters in a give away bag as I was cleaning out some drawers this week. My family can use the space and I hope some one else can use a sweater.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Its bad here too, in S. WI!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Rumors are always flying around here that one of the Water Resorts are closing. Sandusky will never be a ghost town because of Cedar Point, and Kalahari Water Resort. It always seems like the reports are that no one has any money, but Cedar Point is always packed. This place is just a ghost town in the winter. We are definitely a summer town.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM

I have been told part of the reason why they are closing the lodge in MI is because of health hazards. Within a week of my step-daughter being at this location, she developed warts on her feet. Health hazard or down economy? Which could it be. I am sorry to hear that more and more of us americans are losing jobs. We have a sad state of affairs going on and it does not seem to be getting better. Best of luck to those who are losing or have lost their jobs.