another dog?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 AM

OMG, Sandy, your story breaks my heart.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
OMG, Sandy, your story breaks my heart.
Thanks, shaverg, for caring. I was crying the entire time I wrote it. (Maybe I'm not ready for another dog.) The day after Sammy was killed I asked my DH if he had any idea why our SIL was so careless. I just couldn't believe he left him outside, especially after I cautioned him to watch Sammy closely. Their dog was here, too, and he brought her back inside. How could he forget Sammy? My DH and SIL were working outside the entire day while my DD and I worked inside. When I asked my DH how he thought it happened, he said SIL had been drinking beer all day. I'd noticed my DH was in a grouchy mood when he came in; he didn't say anything that night, but when I asked him what he thought the next day, he said SIL had been drinking beer all day and he kept breaking equipment and doing stupid things because he was drinking so much. My DH reminded me that SIL seems to have some adult ADD and the drinking makes it worse. I had no idea he was drinking that much or I would never never have let him take Sammy out. I know my DD thought she was helping me out by asking him to take the dogs out because I was tired and trying to finish up dinner, but I should have gone with my gut instinct and taken them out myself. After they went outside, my 5-year-old granddaughter and I went into the living room to close the drapes as it was getting dark. We saw Sammy doing his business out the side window, then scampering off towards the garage. I told Morgan, "See, I knew Sammy had to go. Mothers always know when their little boys need to go potty." That was the last time I saw him alive.

Our 8-year-old granddaughter had gone to stay overnight with a friend. The next day she told me she wished she would have been here because she would have watched Sammy and brought him in. She would have too, bless her heart.

My DH felt guilty because he'd promised me he would build a fence for Sammy before we got moved, but he didn't get it done. There was just too much to do.

I know Sammy wouldn't have lived many more years as he was 11 and 13 is the average life span for Pekingese dogs. He also had health problems and was on medication. Still, he loved life and he loved us. I really do miss him so much.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
JJs
Banned

We adopted two retired breeders. They were NOT back-yard breeders - they lived in the home, but were not pets.
Had attention every day but not cuddled.
Anyway, one is three and the other is 4 - tiny, toy poodles, and they are both fantastic. So if you can find a retired breeder that was not living in a crate in a backyard jammed with lots of crates....
These two had always had their shots, saw the vet, been spayed when we got them, etc...