Another dog "thing"

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Dee

What a beautiful story. We need to keep adopting and rescuing these poor little animals. I know in Jan.,2012, we adopted our little Crissy. A mini Dachshund. She is the light of our life. She is still adjusting. Trust is getting better, but it'll take time. But she is the sweetest pup-1 1/2 years old.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieG View Post
Tears here. We just lost our 1st rescued dog last Friday. My heart is aching for my husband who is struggling with the loss of his pal of 13 yrs. We have 2 more rescues in our lives but Ranger was pretty special.
I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Ranger was very lucky to have such a devoted family. Please know that all of you are in my heart tonight.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
The floodgates opened here too! I just lost my Jimmy 3 weeks ago from very rapid onset CHF that did not respond to treatment. He was 14. I'm going to be looking for a new companion to "rescue" me VERY soon.
Oh, Teri... please know how very sorry I am to hear of your loss. Maybe Jimmy is playing with my Yankee & Debbie's Ranger over the rainbow bridge. I hope so! Please lean in close to your 'puter so I can give you a big ol' {{{ H U G }}}.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dee View Post
What a beautiful story. We need to keep adopting and rescuing these poor little animals. I know in Jan.,2012, we adopted our little Crissy. A mini Dachshund. She is the light of our life. She is still adjusting. Trust is getting better, but it'll take time. But she is the sweetest pup-1 1/2 years old.
You're exactly right. I just don't "get" people who think rescues are somehow "faulty" or "second-class". I've had nothing but rescues my whole life (my 1st memory is going to the pound with my folks when I was 3 to get my first dog), both purebreds & mutts, & they are THE best pets EVER.

I'm so happy you have your Crissy. Just be patient... she'll come to trust you & wil forget all the bad stuff that happened before she got her forever family!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 AM

I lost my rescued brown lab last year. Not two months later, while searching petfinders.com, I saw another chocolate lab--this time, a male. I started to complete the application, but cancelled it because I couldn't make this decision unilaterally. My DH had to agree also. Well, to make a long story short, three days later, I received a phone call that the new guy was mine. A friend who is an animal communicator said that my recently-deceased girl had pushed the application along. Jack is my best buddy now. He and my other lab get along famously and have since day 1. I am so sure that Lexie arranged this.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
I lost my rescued brown lab last year. Not two months later, while searching petfinders.com, I saw another chocolate lab--this time, a male. I started to complete the application, but cancelled it because I couldn't make this decision unilaterally. My DH had to agree also. Well, to make a long story short, three days later, I received a phone call that the new guy was mine. A friend who is an animal communicator said that my recently-deceased girl had pushed the application along. Jack is my best buddy now. He and my other lab get along famously and have since day 1. I am so sure that Lexie arranged this.
I believe that, too. I think the greatest testament we can give to our deceased pets is to love another one. I know Yankee sent Leo to me... I just know he did. While he was alive, it just tore Yank up to see me upset & I'm sure its no different now that he's over the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm so glad you have your Lexie. Leo gives her a big ol' hound bark/howl "Howdy!".
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM

So sweet - Thanks Rebecca. I've got tears in my eyes (hiding in my office at lunch).
Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 AM

Who saved who, maybe a little bit of both. God Bless you both.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM

All four of my dachshunds are rescues. Daisy, who is now almost seven, was only seven months when I adopted her from the Lee County Humane Society. They told me she was skittish. When I got there, there was a woman with a little girl talking to them, and the little girl was not "skittish", but definitely not a kid I would want to give a puppy to, especially not a doxie. Naturally, Daisy was the one they wanted. I managed to talk them out of taking her, with just a little hard feelings, lol. The shelter worker told me she was greatly relieved that I was taking Daisy home with me.

Daisy has more than repaid me. She was my support thru my cancer treatment, which I went thru away from home and husband. She is my service dog, travels with me when I take any long trips, sleeps with me, wakes me from nightmares, and keeps me company on nights when my hip, shoulder, neck, etc gives me too much pain. Just recently, she was so clingy and close that I worried something might be wrong with her, so I asked a friend of mine who is an animal communicator to do a reading on her. I found out that Daisy was worried that she might not be doing a good enough job of taking care of me, and didn't want to let me down. She also told her that I needed to check out my right eye, because I had a problem with it.

I had her tell her that she was doing a great job, and not to worry, that her dad would make sure to help take care of me too, and that her little sister, Molly was now helping out. And that I would watch my right eye. She was right about the eye. I apparently had gotten something in there, and it caused some real irritation problems. Our dogs know about our health problems before we do. Molly is also a rescue, and is my medical alert dog. They really pay us back in so many ways.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM

You all just had to make me cry, didn't ya. Lost my boxer Floyd a year and ahalf ago, I didn't adopt a dog , but got two kittens who are now a year old, one i very special to me the other is more independent, but still love him. And I also had my sons dog living with me for 6 mos, now I'm living with him, and he's a sweety.