Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook. >

Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook.

Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 AM

They've been using ethanol in gas for over 20 years and the only time I had trouble with it, was when I had my old Healy(1966). We don't have a choice on choosing since there's only 3 gas stations in our town.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for info. I have Jeep 04. Will have to let DH know. Techs have never been able to figure out at dealership we took to.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 AM

I was in Tenn (Cosby ) couple years ago and there's a station there with no ethanol....but that's a long drive from me!
I think if it's less than 10%, it's safe.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM

I use ethanol gas all the time here in Iowa. The only time my check engine light comes on is when I don't screw the cap back on properly developing a gas pocket of sorts and sends a signal to the computer. The gas cap has a plastic string or whatever you want to call it attached to it so you don't lose it and if it gets caught under the cap which mine has a couple of times in the past, that's the only time my check engine light comes on. Never heard this other idea before, but thanks for the tip.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM

I just had some work done on my car, so it was close to the 3000 mile oil change so I had it done. Well 3 days later I filled up and my 'check engine light' came on. All my fluids are where they are suppose to be. I mentioned this to my nephew and he double checked my fluids. Well my SIL came in and said she stopped to fill up and a block later her light came on. She pulled over and checked her oil and all was fine.We get our gas at the same station so I wonder if they increased the ethanol. I will have to check this out before filling up again. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM

just an aside, if your Check Engine Light comes on, you don't have to go to the dealership. Go to a big chain auto parts store, they have a machine that can read the error code and tell you if it is serious or not, for free. Mine has been on for 6 months, they said it was an O2 sensor and not a big deal.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Some gas companies are adding more ethanol to the gas then they did before. Some vehicles may not be as sensitive to it as others but it still corrodes the engine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-03-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM

My check engine light is on and has been for a while now. My "at work son" checked it and said it was the 02 sensor and not to worry. I had my catalytic converter go out last year and was told at the shop that ethanol was very bad for your car motor. I've been buying 100% gas ever since. I live in a very small town with only 3 gas stations and they all have the option of 100% gas. It usually costs about 40 cents more than ethanol. I also get better gas mileage with 100% gas.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw gas without ethanol, so I went searching. According to 3 websites I checked showing where you can buy ethanol free gas, less than 5% of stations nationwide offer it these days. There are none within 75 miles of me. Luckily, none of our vehicles or mower seem to care.

I suppose since ethanol is made from corn, here in southern Illinois we will use it. Anything to support farming.

the govt. increases the gas taxes to "support" the " farmer". You and I are paying for it. I, too, live in the middle of an Illinois cornfield. I am surrounded by corn grown specifically for ethanol production. You cannot eat this type of corn.

Sandy
Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
Downloaded this app, can't figure out how to use it. Put in my zip code which is in Tennessee but it keeps bringing up the east coast. Not sure if I like it or not.
So I Googled Pure Gas, and came up with 'pure-gas.org' and it has more information on this. Sorry it's not working for you...it seems that it covers much of FL...which is where we are...but it seems to allow folks to add and subtract gas stations from the site. But my apologies as it only works on Apple products and it seems to only cover FL. I didn't know that when I posted. It seems like there would be stations in Tennessee that had non-ethanol gas. Scarlet 14 uses a product sold at WalMart...maybe worth a try.