Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another instance of Craigs List Issues... >

Another instance of Craigs List Issues...

Another instance of Craigs List Issues...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

I've had very good success with Craigs List except for one purchase. I've sold several things too....well now's my time for a problem with SELLING. I 've had listed for quite a while, 2 large boxes and 3 large bags full of yardage and scraps. One box had misc. beads, trim etc. I was asking $25. A man answered the ad, came here and looked through several of the bags, seemed nice and gave me the money.

I get a rude e-mail telling me he wants his money back tomorrow because he should have looked through it better and it's garbage that he can't make anything out of. I specified it was yardage and scraps and he looked at it here.... I told him I'd refund his money IF I was home tomorrow but I'm not waiting around for him.

Now I'm worried he'll vandalize my house or whatever. It really is a very good idea to meet people so they don't know where you live. :< And now I have to deal with all this over $25. So not worth it!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM

I always meet somewhere neutral...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:54 PM

I would too, if not for the fact that 30% of people flake out and are no-shows. So, if you meet them in a parking lot, you'll be sitting in a lot waiting for no one! I guess CL has it pluses and minuses.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

When I purchase anything from Craigslist, I ask to meet in a public place...it is so much safer for both the buyer and seller...Naomi
Old 09-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Is he for real? I suspect if he brings it back, it will be picked through with choice bits missing. What a creep! When I sell stuff on craigslist, I meet them at a local fast food place. I am here alone most of the time and do not risk my safety for a few bucks.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 PM

It might be worth it to make a police report so something is on file about it. Just to CYA.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM

I was planning on donating it locally if it didn't sell(way too costly to ship here). So, I told him I'd leave him his cash hidden and I will trust him to leave the stuff. If it's picked through or missing, he'll have to live with himself and karma. I'll turn around and give it away to someone else.

Sheeeeeeesh. I didn't know I had a returns policy like Walmart!!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM

I posted my 1st Craig's list ad last evening. Within 20 minutes I got a response from someone who indicated she also lives in Holland, PA. My posted location was Holland, PA. Turns out, she lives around the corner from me. I was not going to have people coming to my house, but how can you say no to a neighbor. And then I had to give her my phone number so that she would call before coming over tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM

I have bought four sewing machines on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List) and I was worried about the same things. My son who buys and sells there all the time told me not to worry as the only people I would meet selling sewing machines were other sew crazy women or distraught family members trying to sell their deceased mother's sewing **** and that the bad guys don't deal in sewing machines. So far, I've met two of each group he described and no bad guys.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I was planning on donating it locally if it didn't sell(way too costly to ship here). So, I told him I'd leave him his cash hidden and I will trust him to leave the stuff. If it's picked through or missing, he'll have to live with himself and karma. I'll turn around and give it away to someone else.

Sheeeeeeesh. I didn't know I had a returns policy like Walmart!!

I'm so glad that you aren't actually meeting up with him again! Who knows what he is capable of!! I'm praying that everything works out for you with this situation.