Another Phishing Scam

Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 AM

Default Another Phishing Scam

I got an email this morning supposedly from PayPal. Since it went to my junk folder I was suspicious. It wanted me to verify my identify. It said there had been some unusual activity on my account. I logged in to my PayPal account and everything looked OK. I called PayPal just to be sure and they verified my account was ok and this was a fraudulent email.

Here's this kicker. The email looks exactly like one from PayPal. It has your name on it and even has their phone number to call. But if you hover over the from address it will not say PayPal. It says "service @231asccw, etc." and give a bunch of letters and numbers. PayPal's address is [email protected] DO NOT click on this email to go the PayPal.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM

I have seen this scam also. I also get those DHL, UPS etc emails saying I have a package.
The latest one is that I have a court appearance in New York City. I have never been there and I doubt the court system sends out such things.

Rule of thumb..........

Never open anything from anyone you don't know!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM

I know what you mean. I have been "evicted" 3 times now!!! And I own my home.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I know what you mean. I have been "evicted" 3 times now!!! And I own my home.
LOL I bet you were shocked! haha
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM

I haven't got this one yet. But I have been getting one every 4 days or so that's supposedly from the USPS. Doesn't even spell out United States Post Office. The email says they have tried to leave a package for me and couldn't. All I had to do was click on the button in the email and confirm my address. I hovered over the address too, the first two were from the UK and the second two were from Australia. Now I know the post office is running their budget in the red, but I don't think they would outsource their delivery problems to the UK and Australia! I just deleted them. But it gave me a good laugh.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Scams and phishing abound. I accidentally answered the phone the other day without looking at caller ID and some far away fellow was telling me there was something wrong with my windows PC. I said "interesting because I have a MAC". Click!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

School is out; let the scam emails begin with a vengence!
I don't even *have* a paypal account and I get these emails.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 PM

I like the ones that tell you have bought something you haven't making you think someone is using your account but they want you to click their link to check your account instead of open a new browser, they can be so sneaky
Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 AM

I got those last month- I do not have a PayPal acct. But this months scams are notices from dozens of credit card companies. Due to my failure to pay they are gonna hunt me down and make me pay. Then e/mails from 'outfits' that will help me refinance my over due CC's . The only credit card I ever had was at Singer's Machine's and Fabric. They went out of business in 1978 and already a bona-fide member in my Local Chapter of Fabriholics I charged an awful lot at the close out sale's. My bill was paid in full within 60 days of their closing. I still use the sewing machine and I still have a lot of the fabric. OMG does this mean my goodies are vintage or antique's now?? It does not matter I still love the machine and the fabrics.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 AM

I've had that same phone call several times about my computer , that there were some severe problems with it and finally told the gentleman on the other end, Why don't you get an honest job? I hope he can't get into my computer now , because if he could., �� I'm sure I would really have some problems with it