Another SCAM

Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Default Another SCAM

I was looking over my credit card statement and noticed there was a charge for $7.99 from Netflix. That surprised me since I closed out that account over 2 years ago. I asked the CC company why the 4 digit number was different then my current 4 digit number but never got an answer to my question. They mailed me out another card. But this kept churning in my mind. Next day I called the credit card company again and low and behold, they told me it was a discontinued card that was replaced for unknown security reasons that they would not disclose. Then why did they accept the old discontinued card years later?? I called Netflix and they immediately cancelled the account and refunded the fraudulent charges. So beware, your old cancelled or closed account are out there with old CC numbers just waiting to be hacked.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:22 AM

At least Netflix did right by you. Seems like the credit card company should offer a better explanation...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree! Sounds almost like someone who works there maybe the scammer.
Originally Posted by willferg View Post
At least Netflix did right by you. Seems like the credit card company should offer a better explanation...
Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

my Discover card company lets Memory lane (Classmates) put a chrg on yearly. To my new number too. Even though I closed this account several times over the last five years. 59.00 chrg, I would get $11.00+ refund from Memory Lane. even though i complained immediately. They all do it. so much for credit card companies keeping an eye out for us.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:13 PM

After the Home Depot fiasco a few months ago, my bank automatically issued new cards for those who had used their cards at Home Depot. Great customer service!
Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Go to your bank which issued your card, not the CC company, each time this happens and let THEM initiate a fraud report. THEY will call the offending company and quickly make it right. You don't have to.

Jan in VA
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM

I've never had a problem with that with either Discover, Chase or Bank of America. I just call them and report a fraudulent charge and they take care of it. Calling the vendor who has already charged something fraudulently to your card is probably not going to help. Reporting the fraud to the credit card company will get their attention. If they don't fix it, tell you want to close the card. There are tons of credit card companies out there that would love to give you a card.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:28 AM

Our bank catches fraudulent charges on our credit card very efficiently. They notify us right away. It has happened twice in the past two years. The first time someone used our number in California at Burlington Coat Factory and a few other places. We live in Florida The second time it was the Home Depot thing.
Another time, they called us at 11:00 at night to check to see if we had used our card that evening. I had bought a very expensive computer and printer and a pair of jeans. The bank wasn't used to seeing such large amounts on our cards. I thanked them and assured them that we had made the purchases. I had to tell the representative what we had bought.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
Our bank catches fraudulent charges on our credit card very efficiently. They notify us right away. It has happened twice in the past two years. The first time someone used our number in California at Burlington Coat Factory and a few other places. We live in Florida The second time it was the Home Depot thing.
Another time, they called us at 11:00 at night to check to see if we had used our card that evening. I had bought a very expensive computer and printer and a pair of jeans. The bank wasn't used to seeing such large amounts on our cards. I thanked them and assured them that we had made the purchases. I had to tell the representative what we had bought.
I've had the same experience with my credit card company. One time I had forgotten to call them to let them know that my husband was going to Scotland and to expect some large charges for flight and hotel. They called asking about a $1700 charge from a Pub in Scotland - I laughed and told them husband had a great time at the Pub the previous night all the while knowing that the place he stayed was an Inn with a Pub and that the charge was for his room. OK'd the charge, told them there maybe more. I always appreciate them calling and I always check my accounts online about weekly or more frequently if we have been using them. It just seems like no matter how careful you are card numbers get compromised.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM

If I have a large purchase to make or go out of town and use my card, I learned to call the cc company and let them know in advance and make a note on my account. I made a purchase in another state and they put a hold on my account. That is when I learned to call them first.