Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another use for Elmer's Glue >

Another use for Elmer's Glue

Another use for Elmer's Glue

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Love Elmers, thank you for the tip!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Where do you get the paper thing glue, and what is it called. I would like to get some and use it. My grandson is in the scouts and has patches that need to be put on. Do you have to sew it after you apply the paper?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM

I discovered years ago when embroiderying or doing crossstitching I could use a toothpick with a teeny, teeny amount of Elmer' s glue to swipe the tail(s) of my embroidery floss and then secure it to a few already worked pieces of floss on the back side of my projects. It sure eliminated all those ugly knots. Have pieces 20 years and older with no unraveling. I do wash all my work when completed so I use regular glue.....NOT washable school glue for this.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
They make a sheet of this stuff that is like fusible interfacing except it is like a paper thing glue. You cut it the size of the patch and peel one side. Put it on the patch and then peel the paper off the other side. Then stick the patch one the shirt. It becomes permanent. So much easier than what I had originally done.

Sounds like you could use it for applique too.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
They make a sheet of this stuff that is like fusible interfacing except it is like a paper thing glue. You cut it the size of the patch and peel one side. Put it on the patch and then peel the paper off the other side. Then stick the patch one the shirt. It becomes permanent. So much easier than what I had originally done.
Wonderful! - Like that idea.

I also use the School Glue for making templates - I print out (or draw out) a pattern of what I need on paper, glue it to a corner of thin poster board (big sheets avail at $ store - 2/$1) then cut out my templates and they are thick enough to trace around, etc. virtually indestructible, and last a long time. Then I can store them in plastic bags or page sleeves in a notebook ready to take out and go to work! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM

a dab of Elmer'slue stick on the back side of a button to hold in place to sew on---when ever possible I sew buttons on by machine
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 AM

We better watch how much we post about liking it so much or they will raise the price as they will find ouy there is another market for it. Hoptoquilt do you know the name of the product you mentioned?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Elmer's Glue is the best! I loved it when I was teaching 4-5 year-olds, especially when they came out with the washable kind!

Now I love it as a quilter!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I had a "sewing emergency" also over the holidays. I put new sheets, quilts, etc. on our spare bed and when I was almost done I stepped on the bed skirt and tore it from the top part - quite bad. Did not have time to take the bedding off, take the top mattress off and then take the bed skirt off and sew it up - so just grabbed my glue bottle and "fixed it" temporarily! No hurry to fix it now!
"Necessity is the mother of invention!"
Quick thinking there!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Where do you get the paper thing glue, and what is it called. I would like to get some and use it. My grandson is in the scouts and has patches that need to be put on. Do you have to sew it after you apply the paper?
This is what I found--it isn't Elmer's though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alleenes-Fab...item4615ede9a6