Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
any chicken "mommies" here...need advice >

any chicken "mommies" here...need advice

any chicken "mommies" here...need advice

Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 AM

We have a 1 year old hen that started limping 2 days ago.
I've put her into a smaller pen alone so she can get rest.
But, I'm worried what could be wrong with her leg.

She's eating & drinking. Standing some, but is limping bad when she walks. This is DD's (8) pet.

If it was dislocated or out of socket, could she walk at all?
I'm hoping it's just a sprain or pulled muscle.
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I didn't sleep at all last night worrying about her. :cry: We love Bindi like a dear pet.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 AM

can't advise on the leg except to say it was good to separate her form the others. chickens will go after any that seem injured or weak. Dad used to pull any that seemed hurt from the pens and give them a chance to heal by themselves.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 AM

Have you looked at the bottom of her feet? She may have a cut or something else that makes her limp.
Also, feel all along the bones on both legs as best you can to see if you feel any breaks. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like she may have bumblefoot. Here is a link to describe it. http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/...t-chickens.php

Here is a blog that I found that describes home treatment.
http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/top...ggcentric.html

Good luck. Several years ago I had a Rooster we had to put down due to bumblefoot. Although he was not a pet to us so not upsetting to us to put him down.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 AM

if there is any cuts on the feet or leg be sure to put some antibiotic cream on it. Give her a few days and see how she is doing.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies and advice!
feline fanatic, thanks for getting these links to me so quickly.

I just went back out to check on Bindi. She's up and moving around (still limping). I looked under both feet, see no swelling or lumps of any kind. I felt her legs, both feel same temperature (no fever?), I don't think anything feels broken.
Could she stand on her leg if it was broken anywhere?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM

Hi....I'm a chicken mama! What are your roosts made from. Is it possible she got a sliver in her foot from a rough roost? My other thought was bumblefoot, too. How far does she have to fly down from her roost? Could she have sprained it when she landed?

Are you a member of Back Yard Chickens forum? You can get lots of help on that forum:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php

I hope Bindi is feeling better, soon.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

I work on a petting farm that has every conceivable farm animal, including chickens. It's possible she's broken her leg. The good news is, they often heal very well on their own. Splinting is sometimes an option, but not always. As long as the toes on that foot feel as warm as the toes on the good foot, you know she has circulation there and that's a very positive sign. If it starts to feel cooler than the other one, then a visit from the vet is in order.

Keeping her separated for a few days is a good idea. But her pen should be large enough to allow her to move around a bit, not confine her to the point of only being able to lie down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
I work on a petting farm that has every conceivable farm animal, including chickens. It's possible she's broken her leg. The good news is, they often heal very well on their own. Splinting is sometimes an option, but not always. As long as the toes on that foot feel as warm as the toes on the good foot, you know she has circulation there and that's a very positive sign. If it starts to feel cooler than the other one, then a visit from the vet is in order.

Keeping her separated for a few days is a good idea. But her pen should be large enough to allow her to move around a bit, not confine her to the point of only being able to lie down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just checked her legs & toes. Both are warm & the same temperature. Felt from her hips to her toes, I don't feel anything out of place (sticking out?).
She's putting a little weight on it when she's limping and will stand on it if she is eating.

Her pen is large enough. About 4 ft x 5 ft. Nothing she can jump up to. Lots of soft hay.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Hi....I'm a chicken mama! What are your roosts made from. Is it possible she got a sliver in her foot from a rough roost? My other thought was bumblefoot, too. How far does she have to fly down from her roost? Could she have sprained it when she landed?

Are you a member of Back Yard Chickens forum? You can get lots of help on that forum:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php

I hope Bindi is feeling better, soon.

Our roost are made from wood. I think it's pretty smooth.
I did ask DH this morning to lower it just in case, don't want the other girls to get hurt, if that's what happened.
My first thought was a sprain or pulled muscle.
I'm just not sure. :cry: