Any crocheters out there??

Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I'd just wear a band aid.
Me too. I have a permanent callous on my index finger - started using a band aid - it works for me.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 AM

I buy paper tape at the Dollar Store. Just wrap a piece where the yarn is making your skin raw, and crochet on. I
find that even crochet floss for dollies slides right across with no hang ups. Good Luck, I hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM

join -knitting paradise.com- they have knitters and crocheters from all over
Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Oh how I wish some of you that crochet lived close to Burlington, Iowa. I need lessons. My grandmother and mother both crocheted and I did some along time ago, but have forgotten how. Both my grandmother and mother are gone, and I need a refresher course. Hope you find a solution to your finger problem. Linda
Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

This looks like the ring that holds the yarn, but it's not available!
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Living...pr_product_top
Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Try the leather thimble that has elastic on one side. They have them at almost any sewing place including Wal-mart. My friend picked up mine that I was using for sewing and tried it. Worked great for her. It goes up high on the finger. Good luck
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Right now I'm using the little circle band aids that come in the multi pack and I never have a use for. I did look today in the craft aisle for something else but didn't find anything useful. I will try the leather thimble next time I'm out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

One and Only I went online and found really great up close videos when I wanted to learn to knit. I'm sure the crochet ones are just as good. You can pause and back up until you get it. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by oleganny View Post
I can recall many, many years ago, there was a plastic ring with a slot at the top for thread to go through - not sure if the slot was wide enough for yarn since I never used one, but my aunt did, especially when she was tatting, because of the fine thread she was working with. These might still be available online
Knit Picks sells them and they are not that expensive.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I will try some of these suggestions. I used the band aid last night and that seemed to work, just gets wet when I wash my hands. Hadn't thought of New Skin so that might work. I've tried putting the yarn on a different finger but it doesn't work as well with the tension. I need to take a look in the craft sections and see if there's some nifty product out there. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find. I just finished an afghan with Bernat yarn and it didn't bother me but this stuff I'm using now is not as soft so maybe that's the problem also. Trying to use up my yarn stash so didn't want to buy new stuff yet!
Try BandAid brand Waterproof Tough Strips. I am a hairdresser and they stay on throughout the day with repeated shampoos, hair gels ets. Also, they are very smooth and the yarn should slide over it very easily.