Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker? >

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM

I've tried recipes for pot roast and pork chops in my crock pot that others have raved that the meat fell off the bones. Well mine didn't, in fact the meats were kind of tough. Plenty of gravy and the veggies were great but meat not so tasty or easy to chew. I was wondering if the newer slow cookers have a lower temp to cook, mine has low and high and it think even the low is too high a temp to cook meats. May in Jersey
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
np3
Power Poster

I don't think so. I have mine from 30 years ago that I still use. And I have a newer one that is larger. Both work about the same. Maybe it was the cut of meat.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM

I don't think they've really changed that much. I have an old one and a newer oval shaped one that has a removable pot which is so nice when cleaning.

I have the same problem with meat in both cookers. I don't know if I pick up the wrong cut of meat or what but it's always chewy and tasteless.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Perhaps that particular piece of meat needed to cook longer.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Pick a fatter meat, such as chuck roast and simmer on low for at least eight hours, preferably more.
If you pick a more expensive roast, such as pork loin, or a beef roast with less fat, the meat will turn out dryer.
So the cheap fatty roasts are the ticket!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM

I've never had any luck either. A friend said I should try low heat and longer time like 8-10hrs. I'm going to give it a go as soon as our kitchen remodel is done (soon I hope).
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM

This is good to know. I haven't tried to cook a roast in my Crock Pot, but I really want to try it. I know the amount of fat makes the difference between a blah roast and a super good one.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by sandyquilts
I've never had any luck either. A friend said I should try low heat and longer time like 8-10hrs. I'm going to give it a go as soon as our kitchen remodel is done (soon I hope).
Why not try it during your remodel? Just throw the chuck roast in the crock/slow cooker along with some onion soup mix and some small potatoes and tiny carrots.

Put it on the in early morning (7am) and it'll be ready to go for dinner (5-6pm). For BETTER results - make it overnight and refrigerate during day. Heat for dinner. These types of stews taste better the next day.

If you're doing pork - try pork butt - boned or boneless - it's fattier than a pork loin roast.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM

The crock comes out on the Slow Cookers. My old ones do not.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
dd

I bought a nice pork roast the other day that was specifically labeled for the crock pot and it had a good piece of fat all across the bottom. Turned out really nice, juicy and tastey. Put potatoes in the bottom, didn't care for the potatoes that well though. I usually use the chuck roast too and they always turn out great. Sometimes I use a pkt of au jus for the seasoning. Husband doesn't like onions or carrots. Have to watch chicken though, that can get tough and dry even with lots of sauce.