Any gardeners out there?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Cool Any gardeners out there?

We are planning a sundial garden in our lower field. Already have a huge post and have marked the shadow places with numbers. Now need to plant perennial flowers. Full sun, loam soil, sometimes a bit of standing water after a huge rain
and plenty of wildlife. Suggestions please for flowers that bloom in different colors and all season. We can do just two kinds and alternate but would prefer several varieties that we can plant now, or start inside over winter. We are zone 5. Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I don't have any flowers suggestions but wonder if you have thought of different coloured ground covers. Some do bloom but you would not have to manage them much and they would be perennials. A couple I can think of are Vinca, Ivy, Snow on the Mountain, Runuculas etc.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM

Coneflowers, Blackeyed Susans, Shasta Daisy's are all good for full sun. They can withstand a bit of water, also handle drought well. Monarda--Bea Balm comes in all shades of pink, purple, and red. Daylilies come in all kinds of colors. You can always fill in with pansies and other annuals until the perennials get going.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM

I'm not sure what grows in your area. But here where we live in Oregon our growing season varies with the weather.
We found a local nursery where the Lady who owns it, grows plants that she found survive our weird weather patterns.
Here it can be 80 degrees during he day and freeze at night, makes it hard for delicate flowers. We buy from her rather than Lowes or Home Depot because even if it says its for our zone. The town those stores are in has a completely different weather pattern than ours and its only 25 miles away and the altitude is a difference of about 500 feet above sea level.

So check around at one of the older more established nurseries in your area. They should have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 AM

I would plant Salvia, butterfly-humming bird favorites.Hellebore plants that bloom in the winter.I am in zone 7 so you need to check to see whats hardy in you zone, check out GARDENWEB on line, they have great information..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC View Post
I would plant Salvia, butterfly-humming bird favorites.Hellebore plants that bloom in the winter.I am in zone 7 so you need to check to see whats hardy in you zone, check out GARDENWEB on line, they have great information..
Thanks all of you. Hadn't thought of groundcovers, good idea to use annuals to fill in, will check out Gardenweb too.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't how many perenials bloom at different times of the year. I agree with Chasing Hawk. Try to find an older nursery and they could tell you what grows best in your area.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM

I love coneflowers. Here's a site for ideas: http://www.burpee.com/product/produc...7&sort=default
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Coreopsis and yarrow come in many colors, too.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

ITA with Tartan ... groundcovers ... many of them will flower as well, though most of that would be in spring.
Add to the list ... periwinkle, sedge,

Being that it's a Sundial Garden and you have numbers placed, I'm thinking you probably need to consider the height of the plants, so they do not cover your numbers.

You mentioned standing water after a huge rain ... of course, we have no idea if this is common in your area? or only once a season. That needs to be taken into account as to which plants would survive flooding! Likewise, during dry periods, will you water or do they need be dought tolerant?

The possibilities are endless ... and this could be a long term acquisition project, to enjoy for years to come.