Any movie recommendations?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 PM

I enjoyed the "Expendables 2" - I thought it was a spoof on the other movies, but was told it wasn't. As a rule we don't usually watch those type of action films. My DH and I loved the "Monuments Men", "Red", Red 2" and Frozen. My DD & I rented "Nebraska" - it was funny at times, but sometimes a little too close to reality for my taste. And we rented. American Hustle" - it was okay but I wouldn't care to see it again. Just saw the new Captain America movie and loved it. Also, went to see "God Is Not Dead" and loved it.

We have HBO and Showtime (I have to have my Inside the NFL and my daughter needs her Game of Thrones.) So we see a lot of movies. But I am rather tender and delicate and do not care for the very gory and loaded with profanity.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 PM

They are older, but we love to watch The Mummy, the Mummy Returns, and Men in Black with our kids. I also agree about Secondhand Lions-that is such a cute movie.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 AM

Captain Phillips was quite well done.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 AM

Shawshank Redemption - Framed for murder, upstanding banker Andy Dufresne begins a new life at Shawshank prison, where he comes to be admired by the other inmates -- including an older prisoner named Red -- for his integrity and unquenchable sense of hope.

Winter People - In North Carolina during the Great Depression, widower Wayland Jackson (Kurt Russell) moves to a small mountain town with his daughter. He meets Collie Wright (Kelly McGillis), a young woman with an illegitimate child, and soon finds himself in the middle of a deadly hillbilly feud when the baby's father, the son of a rival clan boss, wants the child for himself. Screenwriter Carol Sobieski adapted the novel by John Ehle.

Somewhere in Time - In this unabashedly romantic film, a playwright obsessed with a picture of an early 1900s actress wills himself back in time to find the woman, and the two begin a love affair. But what does living in the past mean for their future?

As you can see, I like movies that end "right"! (Blurbs from Netflix)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

A lot of people didn't like The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp but imho, it was well done. It is not the good old story that we older people might know but it has Realism, whimsy, is fanciful, has great special effects and a smart horse. As with all action and super hero movies you do have to suspend your practical side and go with the imagination of the story.

I really liked it.
peace
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM

Monuments Men is good - we a that several weeks ago. An old one I like is Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carrell.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM

We're looking forward to seeing "My God's Not Dead" and "Heaven Is For Real". Loved the HIFR book and glad it's been made into a movie.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 AM

We watched Captain Phillips last night - it was very tense. I had to keep leaving the room. They had a trailer for Last Vegas and we're definitely going to rent that, it looks like a hoot!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 AM

My quilting group recommends the 'Monument Men' as a must see.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Want to see "Heaven is for Real" and also "Legends of Oz, Dorothy's Return" it is an animated movie. a sequel of "Wizard of Oz". Lots of big names in the Cast Dorothy - Lea Michele --- the Jester - Martin Short --- the Lion - Jim Belushi ---- The Scarecrow - Dan Aykroyd ---- The Tin Man Kelsey Grammer --- The China Princess - Megan Hilty --- Marshal Mallow - Hugh Dancy --- Wiser the Owl - Oliver Platt --- Tugg - Sir Patrick St ewart
Just saw "Son of God"