Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any one familar with Ft. Rucker Alabama? >

Any one familar with Ft. Rucker Alabama?

Any one familar with Ft. Rucker Alabama?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Have decided to go visit my husband while he is there for schooling. As much fun as it would be for a married couple to spend the weekend in the hotel.... We wiill have the kids!
Is there anything around that can be for our enjoyment?
Not my husbands cup of tea, but how about quilt shops or fabric stores
Will ber there for 5 days. Internet so far has not been helpfull, unless I want to go to an aviation museum
Attached Thumbnails attachment-269854.jpe  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 AM

Go and have fun. Husband sill be happy to see his family. Kids will knwo that Dad is OK.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM

I don't know that part of the state, and you may not want to drive 4 hours north, but I want to tell you about a great place to see anyway.

In Cullman, AL there is an extraordinary place called the Ave Maria Grotto. A monk created many miniature replicas of abbeys, churches, cathedrals and other kinds of buildings. They are set outside, in a pretty wooded pathway. He made them out of mainly found materials (akin to our scrappy quilts). They are amazing!

You don't have to be religious or Catholic to enjoy these. If you like miniatures, you'll love them, and even men are awed by the craftsmanship. Kids like them, too, and there are even a few humorous ones for the kids. (I seem to remember a monkey hotel...)

There is a website and a video, but it doesn't begin to do justice to the miniature buildings. http://www.avemariagrotto.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham is also excellent. It's very well done. You start by seeing a video, then walk a path through exhibits showing the segregated south (separate water fountains, for example), then the various aspects of the Civil Rights movement. The exhibits are powerful. There is a bombed-out bus - part of one of the actual buses that was bombed. The prison cell where Martin Luther King spent time is there. There are newscasts and the voices of people giving the opinions of the time. It may take some explaining to the kids, but I highly recommend it.

Birmingham's art museum is also well worth seeing. It has excellent pieces and many collections.

I realize you probably want more local things to do. Look up what state and national parks are nearby. Dothan calls itself the peanut capital of the world, so they must have some attractions around peanuts. Check nearby towns for visitors' bureaus and Chambers of Commerce.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 PM

My son was stationed at fort rucker alabama a few years ago.Him and his wife would go to panama city, florida a lot. Don't know if that's to far to drive or not. Other, than that there are historical tours in Dothan, Alabama and then if you like football, the Auburn Tigers aren't far away.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM

I don't know the Fort but My grandson is in helicopter training there now. I think he will be there for about 6 months.