Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any one suffering from "Cellulitis" >

Any one suffering from "Cellulitis"

Any one suffering from "Cellulitis"

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 AM

I was bitten on the leg by a spider in February, the infection was so painful, I was on intravenous antibiotics to stop the spread of toxins, and then I was told I had cellulitis in the leg.
That in itself is painful, and I don't know how to handle it, apart from taking painkillers.....also I have tried lots of creams to ease the burning sensations that I feel in the leg.
Anyone that has experienced this horrible infection knows what I am talking about.....how long does it go on for.....also can anyone recommend some cream etc to stop the burning sensation.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 AM

I am so sorry you are suffering. I don't know any treatment, but I will pray that you feel better soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 AM

I hope you feel better soon. Wish I knew of something that would help.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 AM

I have no ideas to offer, but I will pray for an end to your pain
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 AM

I experienced a bad bout with cellulitus last year. Mine came from cleaning out a hot tub while I had a bad case of psoriasis on both ankles. (Lesson - don't ever do this.) You're right - the burning is horrendous! Since it started on a weekend, I tried the 'doc in the box' first. They gave me the standard antibiotics. That didn't do much good. I was given a different prescription for antibiotics. Again, not much success, but the cellulitus was climbing up my legs. And the burning! I ended up going to the emergency room at 3 in the morning (great time to go as no one else was there) and was put in the hospital with intravenous antibiotics and oral steroids. At least that stopped the growth of the cellulitus. It actually took quite a while (couple of weeks) for the cellulitus to disappear. At one point, my doctor wanted to take a 'punch biopsy' (sounds horrible, doesn't it?) because it wasn't clearing up as fast as he thought it should. Thank goodness it started to show improvement before he made up his mind.

One of the things that helped me with the awful burning was wrapping my lower legs in kitchen towels that were soaked with cold water. The shock of the cold water at least took my mind off the burning for a short time.

Make sure you are under your doctor's care until this clears up. It can turn dangerous. I'm sending prayers your way.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 AM

Here's hoping for relief of your pain. Several people in my family gets it & are hospitalized because of it. My cousin was in the hospital for 2 months he got it so bad. And yes they said it is painful. I will say a prayer for you & hope you get better soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM

If you haven't seen your doctor lately, it might be a good idea . After the i.v.antibiotics, it usually clears up within a couple of weeks. Of coarse if you have other health problems or a supressed immune system it can take longer to heal. I hope you get some relief soon. :|
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM

My husband was in the hospital for a week last summer with cellulitis. He had IV's and after about 3 weeks it cleared up. Thank goodness he hasn't had it again, but I think he got it when we went to Florida. Maybe something bit him and then we spent about 24 hours driving home. He has poor circulation in his right leg due to having bypass surgery 12 years ago. I bought loose top diabetic socks at Wal-Mart for him to wear and that also helps. Feel better soon!!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Check with your doctor, but I believe the leg needs to be elevated for as long as possible to help with drainage. Hospitalization may be required also. Does your doctor know you are still in pain? I would think you still need antibiotics.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Stay in frequent touch with your doctor, let him/her know you are still having symptoms.
(((HUGS))) I hope you have a speedy recovery (((HUGS)))