Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any quilters from Tulsa OK? >

Any quilters from Tulsa OK?

Any quilters from Tulsa OK?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM

I've applied for a position in Tulsa as it would be something I enjoy doing and I'm seeking warmer weather than we have now. I know absolutely nothing about Tulsa and wondered if those of you who live there could tell me what you like about it and what you don't like about it. I should have a good chance for the job and I'm doing some housing research, etc. now in case I get an offer. I'd be leaving Northern IL having moved here from WI. So, I'm seeking a place I can call home and finish out my career and hopefully stick around.

I have lots of patterns to share and did I mention I have a longarm?

Ok Tulsans.........what say you? If the job is offered, do I accept?

;)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

I am about 2 hours West of Tulsa...those Tulsa folks stay pretty busy...TONS of quilter's and Artsy folk over that way...the BEST Oktoberfest this side of Munich...I go every year! I wish I lived closer to Tulsa that is for sure!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM

My fear are tornadoes. I won't live in a house without a basement and have found a few for sale with basements. I was curious about humidity? I've been looking at pics on the internet and it's very pretty. I've not been to Tulsa, but have seen OKC, Lawton and Altus and whatever was in between.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM

Hello from Lawton :-D :-D
About Tornadoes,you really don't need a basement.Look for houses with a safe room, most of the newer ones have them.
When i came from Germany I was scared to death of them.
Now I don't worry about them, but I do respect them
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi there. Lucky you! We lived in Tulsa for 7 years and absolutely loved it. It's a beautiful city. There is an active quilt guild and a few quilt stores. There are also smaller stitch groups that meet in members' homes usually once monthly. Tulsa has excellent shopping, two great museums, a minor league baseball team and a minor league hockey team. They've also recently opened a B-OK center that has hosted some big name entertainers. I haven't lived there for about 11 years, but have maintained friendships with several of my quilting friends and see some of them twice a year at a retreat. Congrats on your job and I hope you enjoy Tulsa as much as our family did.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks to all who have provided feedback. Hoping to have some others chime in.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM

I lived in and around Tulsa for several years. Yes, there is humidity and tornadoes. I'm in CA now and not sure I'd go back to either one of those issues. I lived on Keystone lake (near Tulsa) for several years and loved it though. Take a look at Sand Springs...nice smaller town outside of Tulsa...

Diannia
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM

I live in Bixby, suburb of south Tulsa. Most of the quilt shops are on the south side of Tulsa, as is Hardesty Library where the Green Country Quilt Guild meets.

There are quite a few of us quilters in the Tulsa area.

Tornado's....You get used to it. My home has neither a safe room nor a hidey hole. I figure if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Personally I think the tornado's are moving further east. We really don't get that many that touch down around here.

Tulsa is alot different than OKC and southern OK. I love it up here. NE Oklahoma is called Green Country.

If you move here, let me know. I can introduce you to a few quilters and show you the quilt shops!