Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any tent campers out there? >

Any tent campers out there?

Any tent campers out there?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 PM

I love camping! We used to tent 30 years ago when the kids were young. Now we take our camper. We have met the nicest people in campgrounds. We like provincial campgrounds in Canada and we have been to some great State Parks in the States. We always bring our beagle and were surprised how many people bring their dogs camping. I can't wait for summer.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

My DH and I have decided were going to try tent camping again. I'm worried about what shape the tent will be in when we pull it out of the garage because we have so many mice in there. Worried also if we can remember how to set the darn thing up. We always end up in an argument when we try to do things together. He says I'm bossy. Personally I don't see it. Another issue is that when we used to go camping, Every single time, it would pour down rain and we would be soaked to the skin and end up packing up and heading home in the middle of the night. This time I think we'll buy a big tarp to cover the tent so the rain hopefully flows off the tent instead of in the tent. Also now we each have a foam mattress. Makes it a little less painful on the bones. Maybe we should try a practice run in our backyard first. That will keep the neighbors wondering.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM

We did lots of tent camping when the boys were young; some of it was with Boy Scouts, some of it was for family vacations. When we went to campgrounds there were not many tent campers, it was mostly RVs. We had some fun trips.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Been there, done that - now, it's the nearest hotel-motel for me.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 AM

We tent camp still. We are actually avid backpackers and spend most of our vacation time walking through remote areas with a backpack and tenting--nothing luxurious, believe me--but we have fun. I also like to rent a cabin when we go away. Neither of us likes to do a hotel and avoid them if we can.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:16 AM

My idea of camping is a 5 star hotel with room service.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 AM

My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn without a pool................LOL
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 AM

My husband and I also love photography and the great outdoors ,,,, we used to tent camp, but living here in the Pacific Northwest means you must be prepared for rain at any time. Eventually we upgraded to a pop-up tent trailer and then a few years ago we upgraded again to a travel trailer. I miss the secluded areas we were able to go when tent camping, but I'm too spoiled now. Toilet! Bed! Running Water! Lights! Heat (which we use here more than A/C, but we have that, too)! Even a fridge, oven, & microwave. Also a table (a place to eat if it's raining) and a couch (to snuggle up and read after a long day of hiking). Oh, and did I mention TOILET?!? Yes, I'm very spoiled now, but we are now able to camp year-round and stay dry and warm .... so we camp more often. I could never go back to tent camping.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
My idea of camping is a 5 star hotel with room service.
Amen! I agree!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 AM

Used to camp with a 10 X 14 tent and three kids. We were often called "Barnum and Bailey". Later my husband converted a delivery van into a camper and we used that for 30 years. Then we bought an old motor home and it is still in use today. All loaded and ready to go, no sleeping on the ground and all the amenities, really appreciated now since we are both in our 80's.