Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any Viking Epic Owners out there?  Need opinions please. >

Any Viking Epic Owners out there? Need opinions please.

Any Viking Epic Owners out there? Need opinions please.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 AM

Default Any Viking Epic Owners out there? Need opinions please.

Dropped off my dependable Designer 1 at the shop for cleaning and took a peak at the Epic machine. WOW is it long but impressive. My shop is offering a class to get to know this machine and a very nice deal on a new machine including using a trade-in. Don't worry as I'll never trade in my baby......Designer 1. They told me that all the hoops will work with the Epic as well as the feet I already have but never use so that's a plus in itself. They did mention there are issues using the MegaHoop though which is minor to me so I'll be taking the class just to get a feel for the machine and decide whether I want to take out a mortgage for a new one. They sure have gone up in price since I bought my Designer1 back in 2000.

Any views on this machine will be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons. I have a Babylock Ellegante for embroidery and I talked with the Babylock dealer and though their Destiny II is less expensive they don't take trade-ins so basically the 2 machines would be about the same price at the bottom line.

Take care and thanks for any info.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Don't have one, but I found the following reviews for it:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/5917
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/5829

Edit: You need to set up a login at patternreview in order to read the full reviews above. It's free to create an account, though.

A couple of things I noted when skimming these reviews. The machine is BIG, so you need space for it. Also it sounds somewhat complicated to thread; you must get each detail of the threading correct. One of the reviewers paid $15,000 for the machine while the other one paid $9,000. The one who paid less called around everywhere to find the lowest price, then got a local dealer to match that price.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-07-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:04 AM

I have not read the articles, I am a dedicated Viking owner. My epic is my 5 th one. I had designer, diamond and now epic. I have not had any problems. It does not seem to have any problems threading that I have noted. I like the way the bobbins wind on the outside. Yes, it is really big!!! Would not travel with it! I am racking my brain to find something I don't like but am coming up blank. I used a trade in for 5000 off last year. (My first 1972 Viking) so I paid 10000. Then I sold my Diamond and put that towards the cost. Free interest, will be paid for in 2 years....just like buying a car! I did buy the extended warranty, and will renew that when it is up, it is so computerized it is scary! Buy from a dealer who really knows the machine and is available to give lessons and help when you run across an issue. Mine has helped me through the years many times. I have never used the mega hoop, maybe someday, I understand you have to split the embroidery and do one side then the other. Never tried is so am not positive. I love this machine! I am lucky that she just fits in my Kangaroo table. They were able to order an insert so I can have a flat surface for quilting. Go and take the class, get to know it....have a glass of wine for lunch and run back and buy that baby!!! I also own a small brother embroider machine that works pretty good, so if I was really shopping around I might test drive their new big machine. Dream something or other. I did not because am so addicted to Vikings! Happy hunting!
Old 10-08-2016, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Don't have one, but I found the following reviews for it:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/5917
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/5829

Edit: You need to set up a login at patternreview in order to read the full reviews above. It's free to create an account, though.

A couple of things I noted when skimming these reviews. The machine is BIG, so you need space for it. Also it sounds somewhat complicated to thread; you must get each detail of the threading correct. One of the reviewers paid $15,000 for the machine while the other one paid $9,000. The one who paid less called around everywhere to find the lowest price, then got a local dealer to match that price.
such a difference in price! Wonder what the dealer pays for it! Feel sorry for the one who paid the high price and hurray for the one who knew how to "deal"....
Old 10-08-2016, 06:51 AM

I'm signed up for the class later this month and I also went to the Babylock site to check out their latest, greatest machine for comparison. Though its less expensive they won't take a trade-in so I'd have to sell one of machines myself which is such a drag. The Viking dealer is giving a $4000 trade-in including my old 2000 D1 so I know I couldn't get that much if I tried to sell it myself. Also they claim all my old D1 feet and hoops will fit the EPIC so no loss there. I thought about trading in the Babylock as I love my D1 but its starting to nickel and dime me so maybe I should trade her in instead. And if I have too many issues with the megahoop I can sell it online as the largest hoop that comes with the EPIC is just about large so don't really need it.

Thanks for the info on what you think about the machine. I'm also glad I did a comparison on the 2 brands. Both dealers are over an hour away so that's not even taken into account. I like the folks at the Viking shop better too. They seem more friendly than the other shop.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:29 PM

I just got one last week so can't really review it but just playing around ,getting acquainted and it sure sews nicely and quietly. The one embroidery I did was a favorite design that I have done on several machines and this was by far the best looking plus I was able to do it much bigger. Iplan to sell my Diamond as I don't ave room or the need for 2 such great machines , I didn't trade it in as I had an old one and took advantage of the great offer they had at that time. One dealer I know is offering a great price+a store shopping spree as a Birthday party for Epic. I thinkthis is a Husqvarna offer so I"d ask about it.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:33 PM

I was and still am a dedicated Viking owner (Designer SE LE) but purchased a Babylock Ellisimo Gold 2 a few years ago. It was just before the Destiny came out and I got a terrific deal and price. I am very impressed with Babylock for many reasons - easy to use, quiet, came with lots of extra feet and on and on. Wish I had learned about these great machines years ago. Anyway, I have seen the Epic and it really is a nice machine with a big price. And these newer machines are getting really big!!! I,don't take my e,broidery machines out of the house - heavy and I don't like the slight movement in a car - all those electronics are kind of finicky. I had a D1 before the SELE - traded it for the SELE and it was the best thing I ever did. SELE can do so much more than the D1 - - big one is that I can rotate designs in 1 degree increments - the D1 only does that in 90 degree increments.

I'm glad you will be taking an Epic class before you decide. If you have a Babylock dealer close enough to you, I recommend that yuck check out their TOL - they may also have the Destiny that used to be the top that so,done traded in. It's always good to check your dealers before making this big decision - and try out the Babylock as a comparison. Just my thoughts.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 10-08-2016, 05:42 PM

I have had my Epic since it was available last fall. I love it. I had a Designer Diamond and kept it instead of trading it in. I really liked my Diamond, but the Epic just outshines! The more I learn about it the more I love it. There are two or three feet that need to be Epic specific (they fit backward to other models) but they come with the machine. Sensor Q for one. It is a big machine! Phyllis
Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM

I bought the Epic in August during a Viking promotion. I had the Diamond Royale. The promotion was $4000 for your old Viking machine, the rolling tote retail $399, $2500 of free Viking Designs and free financing for 60 months. I did not do the free financing and got $5000 for my tradein. I did use the Mega Hoop on the Diamond couple of years ago, made a tabletopper in Embroidery Club. Using the Mega Hoop was not hard. I have not gotten to embroidering yet on the Epic, due to much going on in my life, but the sewing I have done on it has gotten me introduced to the machine. I went on Viking's website and printed out the Owner's Manual and put it in plastic sheet covers into a 3-ring binder, because I like to refer to "the book" when learning. Love the built in tutorials as well. The threading is all new compared to the Diamond but like any new machine, you get it down after a few times. What I really LOVE is that it is connected to our home WiFi, and through the "cloud" it does the machine updates automatically. No more loading update file to USB, and then plugging into machine, all though you can still do it manually if you choose. I loved my Diamond Royale, but in all honesty, I do not miss it one bit!

Last edited by vschieve; 10-09-2016 at 11:49 AM.