Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple? >

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 AM

Christmas items for their new home? Depends if they have had homes of their own before the wedding.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM

We are invited to our neighbor's daughter's wedding next week. I asked the bride what they needed. She told me the stores they are registered at, so I checked. I decided since they said "we have everything we need," that a gift card and nice card was my best bet. It is easier than taking back duplicates. Besides, they lived together for 4 yrs., so have been accumulating things for their home. Mariah.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM

My late mother had the best wedding present idea ever. Postage stamps. Even in this technological age, postage is a hidden cost of a wedding and beginning married life. She usually gave a roll (or 2) of stamps as her gift. It was easy to buy, easy to wrap, easy to mail even. It matched everything, never had to be dusted or put out on display when the giver comes to visit. My mother never had to go to a bridal registry. Even in rural areas like ours, the post office is usually handy! Many brides recalled her generosity each time they had to go buy their own postage and many told her so since she was the Postmistress!

I use the stamp books especially when I have to mail a wedding RSVP and cannot attend. I just tuck them in. If I go to a shower, I usually tape the stamps to the bottom of a shirt or other box so that they aren't easily lost. They are always a hit!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM

I have two "go to" gifts for this situation, if I don't want to shop from a registry or they don't have one. A set of really nice silver picture frames in several sizes or pottery. I assume they will have pictures from the wedding that they will want to display, and a nice pottery serving bowl or platter will not be duplicated by anyone else. I've always gotten wonderful responses to each gift.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 PM

I have given glass pitchers as wedding gifts. You can find them in the price range that fits your budget. A nice glass pitcher can be used when you have guests over or as a flower vase.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Just the regular kitchen items sounds great.My sisters and I gave a shower for my nephew and wrote the invites which stated we were helping to fill the pantry and stock the landry room, it was a real hit.We also decorated with items like bowls, spoons, dish towels, measuring cups, collinders, placemats ,spices and ect. These gifts are needful and can help the couple save money after the wedding.Besides sometimes they forget that life and all the messiness starts the minute they get home.Just place things you buy in a bucket or dish pan that can be used also and tie with a pretty bow, no wrapping needed.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Around here everyone expects money, equal too or more than the amount of the dinner! So if it's a really fancy wedding it is very expensive. Evidently, this is how they pay for the reception. I liked it better when you could make something or give them a plate in their china pattern. (Now i doubt they even have special china!)