Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any of you animal people heard of >

Any of you animal people heard of

Any of you animal people heard of

Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
I don't usually post, have sent some PMs to members, but read the posts daily. This one has certainly caught my eye. Even googling it, I can't find an answer, so will ask you ladies who seem to have had experience with this.

I have an older poodle. The poor thing has scratched and chewed his entire life. Nothing seems to help. He does not have worms. He will turn round and round out on the rough concrete to "scratch", I assume. In the past few months he does a "stretch" move where he actually looks kind of like he is hunching the bed, but I think he is either stretching his rear legs or somehow soothing an itch. Does this condition cause itching? Assuming he could "feel" something happening inside, it would make sense to me that he might. What do you who have had experience with this thing? Thanks so much for your replies.

Lynda in tn/GA/fl
Take him to a vet or groomer, sounds like his anal glands need to be expressed. They can rupture and cause problems. I had two sets of toy poodles and a small mixed breed dog, some had no problems if they were expressed regularly and the small mixed breed had tons of problems, whether they were expressed or not.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 PM

You can use Food Grade DE for humans also. if you prefer you can put it in capsules. Also works in gardens and around house for insects.
I did google when I had ants and found baby powder was one of the recommendations. That works great for ants.
I just read a tip for when you get a burn. Use egg whites.
Very effective.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by thrums
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth? Have any of you ever used it for taking care of fleas or parasites on your animals?

I got some the other day cause my new rescue kitty Misty has among many other little issues, Ghiardia a parasite.

Just curious if any of you have any experience with this.
Diatomaeous earth is a very useful product. I used it on the farm for my garden. I would sprinkle it at the base of the plants. I would use it as intestinal worm control with my livestock. I would mix just a bit of it on sweet feed and it would help control intestinal worms. I used one teaspoon per pound for the amount I was feed that day. The particles would adhere to the molasses. I did this once a month during the summer in TN where the worm load is higher.

More info found here. Look under Pest Control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

I purchased mine from http://hoeggergoatsupply.com

Note: Make sure you know the grade you have and how to use it properly. You can find Diatomaeous earth in swimming pool supply stores for pool filters. This product is finer than food grade and was not suggested for farm use because it can be more easily inhaled.
Pool grade is very harmful! Other ingredients are added to it. Make sure you get food grade or pet grade.!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 PM

I haven't heard of this treatment for anything, but it makes sense for fleas & mites. As for Giardia, it is a VERY SERIOUS DISEASE, & I certainly don't see why just raw meat would cure such a parasitic disease. Go with your vet.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth? Have any of you ever used it for taking care of fleas or parasites on your animals?

I got some the other day cause my new rescue kitty Misty has among many other little issues, Ghiardia a parasite.

Just curious if any of you have any experience with this.
I've heard of using it for fleas, supposed to work well by sprinkling it into carpet. But have also heard it might ruin the motor on your vacuum cleaner. So I never tried it
Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
Please try raw hamburger or go to the pet store and buy their balanced raw meat food in the frozen foods. You will be amazed how quickly the problem clears up.
One of my cats is allergic to beef, pork, turkey and a multitude of grains. So I wouldn't go that route.

How does eating raw meat get rid of a parasite?
My sister's dear kitty was diagnosed with an allergy to chicken, which is in SO many cat foods. She spent a good part of her life in a cone hood to keep her from scratching herself bloody. Feeding her a chicken-free diet was a real challenge. When they moved to another town and had to find another vet, he diagnosed her with a hormone imbalance. Regular treatment kept that sweet kitty symptom-free -- and HOOD-free-- for the rest of her life.
Second opinions -- so underrated