Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts >

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Default Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

HAIRCUTS
Dad had a job delivering gas. One night a man called and wanted gas right away. The man was so grateful Dad took him the gas that he taught Mom to cut Dad's hair. (Dad has a wild mop of hair.) When I was a little kid - she cut our hair when we were asleep. I don't know how she did it - maybe we looked scary. Sigh. She doesn't remember anymore. She doesn't cut Dad's hair anymore - he goes to get it done but it is the same cut he always had from her.

Someone had to cut Mom's hair so when I was a young teen she taught me everything she knew... LOL I don't know if she went somewhere to fix it but I don't think she looked too bad. I also cut my sister's hair.

When my kids came along I naturally cut their hair. Then I found out why Mom cut hair when we were sleeping. I can remember wrapping my legs around my daughter to hold her down while cutting her hair... My son's both went to get hair cuts when I did something to my hand once and ended up with the same hair cut I gave them. Anyway they kept having me cut their hair since it's cheaper if they are only going to get the same hair cut...

DD was wanting hair cuts for my 3 little grand kids Miss L (6) and Wilbur (3 1/2) and Walter (1 1/2) since they don't comb their hair very well. I cut Walter's hair when he was sleepy and sitting behind the steering wheel in my new Honda. I flicked his hair out the car window. No we weren't moving. I'm not sure he knew he was getting a hair cut - he was busy checking things out. Then Miss L and Wilbur... THEY didn't WANT hair cuts. So I paid Miss L a quarter to get a haircut. Made her happy. She looks very cute by the way (she is the kido cleaning the sewing machine in my avitar) Then Wilbur wanted to keep his curls on his head. BUT Wilbur saw Miss L got a quarter so he said he would like a hair cut. He sat on a bucket and I cut off a curl - Wilbur wiggled - I asked him if I hurt him. "NO " Ok so I cut off another curl. Wilbur wiggled. "Wilbur do you hear that birdie?" "Yes." "Do you know that birdie wants some of your hair to put in her baby's nest?" No comment but he sat reasonably still. I kept talking about the birdies every time he darted around. When we got done we had a huge pile of curls - some on the head and some not. So I told him he had to hide curls all over the yard for the birdie to find. He did. There is hair everywhere. His favorite place was in a tree. He got a quarter, too.

What do you do to get kidos to hold still for hair cuts? Anybody else brave/crazy enough to cut hair?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I still cut my son's and husband hair. I never had any trouble getting my son to sit still for his cut. I had a tall stool that I sat in front of the TV and put on Sesame Street when he was small. I made my own cape out of slippery fabric so there were no picky hair bits when I was done.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 AM

When my daughter was a toddler, I'd put her in the tub, pour water over her head, and then trim her bangs. It was the only way to get the hair to lie flat and not make a complete mess. I kind of shake my head now when I think of it, but I guess at the time it made sense.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 AM

I still cut my son's 23 &26 and husband hair
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM

I cut my dog's hair about twice a month, once a week in the summer, doing a section at a time with rests between the sections. Only when we get to her feet and paws is there any disagreement ..... those are done one at each setting. I'm sure she thinks I'm petting and giving her a rubdown. She looks funny for a day or two but it gets the job done.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Does trimming my husband's beard count? I will never ever cut his hair.
It is down to the middle of his back and the most wonderful shades of grey and black.

I used to trim my kids hair when they were young. As they grew older I took the girls to the salon and the boys to the barber.

And no one, I mean no one cuts my hair...lol

Any ever figure out why hair stylist insist on getting their grubby little mitts on someones long hair and hacking it all off to just below the ears? I have had several people want to do that to my hair. One was a SIL at the time. I had to threaten her with her scissors to get her to stop. Others were mere strange hair stylists with a short hair fetish I guess.....LOL

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 06-08-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM

I cut my husbands , daughters and grand children's hair. Wow so I save a pile of money.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM

About 25 years ago I got tired of re-doing my husbands haircuts, so I just started doing it myself. His hair is curly. And very few barbers know how to cut curly hair. Now, I'm getting tired of doing it.LOL
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

by the time my son was three I was cutting his hair, I always had to redo what they did, they never cross cut, so I did it all. it looked great.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM

I cut my husbands hair and have for over 30 years now