Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is Anybody Jewish?

And willing to answer a few (probably sort of silly) questions from a Christian with a new Jewish coworker? Like, tonight is Friday and she and I were both flying out of work at the stroke of 4:05 pm....her to get some stuff done before sunset and me, just because it was Friday and we could go! What could I have wished her? Is it Happy Shabbat? Or is a comment like that inappropriate from me? She's in her mid-60's and used to being in a very Christian world....I just want to show her that I care by learning a few things. Social stuff, mostly, not theological.....can't find this kind of thing online! Please PM me ! Thanks!

One way to show acceptance is to show interest. In other words, you could just say "have a wonderful Shabbat" and then ask... "is that an appropriate greeting"? Some folks love to teach others about their religions, culture, etc.

bj
    My teaching partner for a few years was Jewish. I just wished her a nice weekend. DD and I talked about a lot of stuff, religion included. She was never offended if I asked her a silly question. When we did Friday team meetings we tried to be sensitive to her Kosher dietary needs, although I'm sure we blew it a lot.

How nice to be interested. We're all here together. Ask your new friend and see if she'd like to share. I think it's fun to learn about other religions. She may be curious about your religion too. What a varied world we are, but we're all human and the majority of us are tolerant and kind to one another regardless. It's such a blessing to accept differences but still respect people and their beliefs. It's all good.

Blog Entries
    wish her Shabbat Shalom (Peace of the Sabbath)

you're welcome to send me a pm for more about your questions. it must otherwise be locked to prevent it veering off into an unintended religious tangent.