Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone from Detroit like Featherweights? >

Anyone from Detroit like Featherweights?

Anyone from Detroit like Featherweights?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 AM

I'm looking for someone to deliver a sewing machine to the Appleton, Wi area and I'm willing to hand over my beautiful Featherweight to anyone willing. I know this sounds odd, but the seller is unwilling to ship. I thought perhaps someone from the Detroit area has family or friends in Wisconsin that they plan to visit. Please PM me if you're interested. :-P
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201624.jpe  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Wish I was going. What a beautiful machine.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 AM

Thanks for responding. I had my fingers crossed, but it doesn't appear anyone is interested. Oh well, it isn't meant to be. :|
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Could you explain? Not sure where the machine is, but maybe someone here in Michigan could get it and then ship it to you?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM

Another alternative would be to get a delivery service to pick up, pack and send the machine to you. I noticed at least one eBay seller who mentioned that as an option for a heavy item he did not want to ship. I don't know who to recommend, but I'm pretty sure the major carriers offer this service. I hope you can get someone in Detroit to do as redvette54 suggested, but if not, there would probably be some pros to do it.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 AM

I live in Appleton, Wi. The machine is in Detroit. The owner won't ship, and I don't want to make such a long trip (8 1/2 hours with two children, 7 and 9 years old) to get it myself. I was hoping someone would buy the Detroit machine (which is an absolute steal) and personally bring it to me in Appleton, while on their way to visit, vacation, travel for business, or whatever else might bring them my way. When it arrives here, I would pay the $250 that the person spent to purchase the machine, and give the person my Featherweight for all their efforts. I know it's a long shot, but why not throw it out there!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm worried the shipping service would charge a tremendous price. Also, I would have to pay the seller first, and trust the seller to come through with the machine. This person is selling for what I think is a deceased mother, and seems too busy to be bothered in any way. I think that's why the price is low....he just wants it gone.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 AM

The shipping service would surely cost a lot less than the value of your Featherweight, and probably a lot less than the cost of gas for that drive.

If the seller is on eBay and has an unblemished feedback record, you can probably count on him, but I would study the feedback to make sure there are not a lot of lukewarm responses. I am also a little skeptical of sellers who recently joined eBay because they may have had bad feedback and re-registered under a different name. Over the past 12 years I've had almost 100% excellent experiences on eBay.

Maybe you can work out an escrow arrangement to keep the seller honest and cooperative. I'm not sure how that is done.