Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies? >

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

We have a larger family. My youngest two will turn 18 the year I turn 60 and DH 67. They will graduate highschool just before turning 19 and then most likely attend a junior college next door. I am 47 now but many of my friends are emptynesters or becoming emptynesters within several years. Many of my friends are submerging into new jobs and or hobbies including travel. Anyone else out there who will be raising children at a later age or have been there done that? By the way I also do home education. Some of our children have problems with learning so they might linger a little longer. The ages of our children now are 24 (married), 22 (married), 21 (moved out), 21 (home special ed.) , 20 (college, home on weekends and holidays), 20 (moved out), 20, 14, 13, 13, 11, 9, 5 and 5. (all of the remaining are home)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Did I count right (14)....wow, with that many I don't know how you could be an empty nester until later.

Congrats to you for being able to "make it" with all your children in today's times and to have the ability to do home schooling.

You have a special quality that will be passed throughout your children and enjoyed forever.

I'm 51 and my DH is 56...we are empty nesters and have been for several years now. We do enjoy it and are overwhelmed when everyone comes home to visit at once.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
We have a larger family. My youngest two will turn 18 the year I turn 60 and DH 67. They will graduate highschool just before turning 19 and then most likely attend a junior college next door. I am 47 now but many of my friends are emptynesters or becoming emptynesters within several years. Many of my friends are submerging into new jobs and or hobbies including travel. Anyone else out there who will be raising children at a later age or have been there done that? By the way I also do home education. Some of our children have problems with learning so they might linger a little longer. The ages of our children now are 24 (married), 22 (married), 21 (moved out), 21 (home special ed.) , 20 (college, home on weekends and holidays), 20 (moved out), 20, 14, 13, 13, 11, 9, 5 and 5. (all of the remaining are home)
Did I count correctly, 14 kids?

Moonwalk, we were counting at the same time. :lol:
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lvaughan
Did I count correctly, 14 kids?

Moonwalk, we were counting at the same time. :lol:
Yes, 14 but not everyone is home any more. About 2/3 of our children came home by adoption. Incase you are wondering about my triplets and twins. LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm amazed you find time to quilt. You are a rare woman. I'm sure we could learn much from you.

My kids have been gone for several years too. I'm 52 and hubby 53. I became a nanny (grandmother) at 37. That was very hard to come to terms with, not for myself but for my daughter and the choices she made for herself. So at 52 I have five granddaughters ages 15, 6, 4, 2 and 1. Grandkids are lots of fun but very tiring.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm amazed you find time to quilt.

I became a nanny (grandmother) at 37. That was very hard to come to terms with, not for myself but for my daughter and the choices she made for herself.
I have to find time to quilt to keep my sanity. From the time I was a toddler I have been a compulsive crafter. It actually energizes me. Fortunately DH and the family recognizes that and support me.

I have one grand daughter, 8 months, and two grandsons that are angels. They are all from one son who is now 20 and the choices he made. I never see my grand daughter and I am not sure where she is at right now or her mother. The mother called twice since January if we would take our grand daughter but changed her mind on the last moment both times. I never dreamed how this would all affect me and then the death of my little grandsons. Parenting adult kids has knocked the air out of me. The little ones at home keep me focussed and going.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Well, yes....but this happened a few years ago for us.

We had 2 families....2 sons then 11 years later 2 daughters.

We were married 37 years before our nest emptied....that made me 57 and hubby was 60. So we have been there.

We planned when they were gone to really down-size...and went to a condo. We have enjoyed condo living ever since. We are now 77 and 80. Lots of good memories and some that are not so good, but we learn to take the bad along with the good!

June in Cincinnati
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I'm amazed you find time to quilt.

I became a nanny (grandmother) at 37. That was very hard to come to terms with, not for myself but for my daughter and the choices she made for herself.
I have to find time to quilt to keep my sanity. From the time I was a toddler I have been a compulsive crafter. It actually energizes me. Fortunately DH and the family recognizes that and support me.

I have one grand daughter, 8 months, and two grandsons that are angels. They are all from one son who is now 20 and the choices he made. I never see my grand daughter and I am not sure where she is at right now or her mother. The mother called twice since January if we would take our grand daughter but changed her mind on the last moment both times. I never dreamed how this would all affect me and then the death of my little grandsons. Parenting adult kids has knocked the air out of me. The little ones at home keep me focussed and going.
I know exactly what you mean, my daughter was 17 when my granddaughter was born. They lived at home, (with me, hubby and her two sisters) until granddaughter was 4 1/2. My daughter then left with her daughter and we haven't been able to see her since, 10 1/2 years. It was very hard on the family, it felt like someone had died. My other daughter has the four daughters and they keep me (Nanny) and Papa busy when we get to see them, which is often. They live a little over an hour away, just far enough that it has to be a planned trip. I keep trying to talk my husband into moving next door. Don't you know my Son-in-law would just love that. :D
Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM

We loved being emptynesters. Beware they sometimes come back!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm 53 and my hubby is 61....both of our children are still at home (21 and 22), attending local schools. So they will be here for a few more years.....