Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan? >

Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan?

Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Question Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan?

I have a sweatshirt I am ready to cut into a cardigan. I am just planning on cutting it down the centre, taking the ribbing off and doing something with it. I have already done the covering of one in fabric, this time I would like to leave it as it is. I would like some ideas how to finish the front and raw edges. I picked the shirt up at a re sale store, so am not out much if it does not work. On searching I have not found anything I could really use. Anybody done anything like this? This will be an experiment for sure. Thanks for reading.....
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I have a sweatshirt I am ready to cut into a cardigan. I am just planning on cutting it down the centre, taking the ribbing off and doing something with it. I have already done the covering of one in fabric, this time I would like to leave it as it is. I would like some ideas how to finish the front and raw edges. I picked the shirt up at a re sale store, so am not out much if it does not work. On searching I have not found anything I could really use. Anybody done anything like this? This will be an experiment for sure. Thanks for reading.....

First, make sure the sweatshirt is a larger size than you wear because the front is actually smaller than you would find on a finished jacket. You can finish the edges on a serger if you have one, or use a plain stay stitch around the curves. Some sewers leave the bands on the sleeves and the bottom, makes finishing easier and the shirt fit better around the hips. Once you take the band off the bottom, the shirt is wide around the hips and needs to be altered. There are several tutorials and sewing websites with good ideas on how to make your sweatshirt interesting and some free patterns. I don't have the exact addy, but you could do a search for Mary Mulari, she has several books and information on converting sweatshirts. (I have found too that sweatshirts with set in sleeves work better than the raglans.)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Nancy Zieman had a guest on her show that did them. I think her name was Mary Mulari (thanks quilterchick, I couldn't remember her name). Ms. Mulari has two books that show how to make them. I have both books, but have not done anything with sweatshirts. If I were going to do one, I would fold over the neck after I removed the ribbing, sew it down, make at hem at the bottom where I removed the ribbing, then I would make a button placket on each side of the front where you cut it. I would probably add button holes and buttons to the plackets, maybe add a pocket or two with the fabric used for the button placket and also add some embellishment, like applique or ribbon to dress it up a little.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Here are a couple of examples of 2 jackets that I made with sweatshirts. I don't have a pattern. I just made my own.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]288556[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jacket2.jpg   jacket4.jpg  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 AM

I have done a few, but I never cut off the ribbing. I use the serger with same color thread or contrasting depending on look you want . Stretch the ribbing a bit as you serge and it will then ripple when finished. Looks really good. I have then either embroidered on them or use hotfix jewels to decorate. Make really great jackets for when you need a little something but not really a jacket. Good luck and enjoy
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Most of the others have already suggested good stuff. I have made several around the house sweaters out of sweatshirts by cutting it down the front and adding at least a three inch placket to the front pieces. You can also cut off the elastic at the waist and cuffs and bind them with fabric matching the front plackets. Set in sleeves do look more like a jacket than the raglan ones. Sweat shirts are great to decorate with patchwork, embroidery or decorative stitching. Adding big pockets is always nice for holding tissues, and even handsewing or quilting notions. Have fun.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm planning to make a jacket out of a sweatshirt, and I bought some fleece binding to put around the edges that I cut off. Hope that helps!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions, still really like the cut out one above.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Bind the raw edges the same as you would a quilt. I bring the sewn binding to the front and top stitch.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM

at one time I had a web site that showed how to convert a sweatshirt into a cardigan....never tried it but it would be neat